Our Best Tips & Tricks for Incoming Saints

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Starting college can be both scary and exciting! Whether you’re feeling one or the other, or both, HC Siena has you covered with our tips and tricks for surviving freshman year at Siena!

Dorm Tips

1. Try not to overpack!

Packing can be super stressful! Will I need this? Will I wear this? How many pairs of shoes is too much? Never fear, check out Her Campus’ Ultimate College Packing List! Also, check out Siena’s Office of Community Living checklist for what to bring and what not to bring! HC Siena recommends not bringing all of your clothes at the beginning of the year. Bring your fall attire and a few pieces of winter clothes, and you can switch pieces out on visits home as necessary. This will save you a lot of much-needed space in your closet and dresser!

2. Strike a balance between healthy and unhealthy foods.

It’s really really easy to eat really really unhealthily at college. Burgers, pizza, and other greasy foods are almost always available to you at college, but that doesn’t mean you should eat them all the time. Try to keep balance in mind when making food choices, especially when picking out snacks for your mini-fridge, which you’ll be reaching for often. Nicole P. ’18 says “Stock your mini-fridge with fruits, veggies, yogurts, and health snacks. Trust me, it is tempting to get all the candies and ice creams for your fridge, but they aren’t always the best to boost your energy for all those study sessions.”

3. For individual tips on each of Siena’s freshman dorms, check out our articles on Hines, Ryan, and Plassmann.

Academic Tips

1. Make at least one friend in each of your classes.

Not only does this give you a study buddy for tests and quizzes, but it also gives you a person to discuss the material with, get missed notes in case of an absence, and a new friend you might not have met otherwise!

2. Figure out a way to keep track of all of your assignments!

For some people, this may be a planner or a bullet journal, while others might like to use an app on their phone. Whatever it is, find a system that helps keep you organized and aware of upcoming due dates for class assignments, because you do not want to be that person just starting their essay at 3 a.m. when it’s due at 8 a.m. A little organization goes a long way!

3. Utilize the Writing Center!

The transition from high school writing to college writing can be tricky for some, but Siena is here for you! Siena has the Writing Center, located on the bottom floor of the library, which has students who have been trained and certified to help you with any writing task. They’ll help with anything from brainstorming, to formatting, to help with APA & Chicago styles, to editing, and so on.

4. Go to office hours!

The professors at Siena are some of the most welcoming, kind, and caring people you will meet. Even though class sizes are small and professors will most likely know you anyway, going to office hours shows initiative and helps professors put not only a name to a face, but also get to know you more. Even if you’re not struggling in a class, it never hurts to talk about the material with the professor. Additionally, this is a great way to build relationships with your professor! (This can also especially help you when it comes time to ask a professor for a letter of recommendation!)

Tips for Friendships & Being Social

1. Saga Sitting.

Saga Sitting (verb): Swiping into Saga, getting a table, some food, and staying there for an extended period of time to either people-watch, relax, enjoy the Saga playlist, or do homework/study.

We’ve all done it. We will all continue to do it.

Note: “Saga” is the often-used nickname for Lonnstrom Dining Hall.

2. Joining clubs is one of the BEST ways to make friends!

By signing up for and joining clubs, you’ll meet people who share some of the same interests as you, which is always a great basis for friendship. Clubs offer a friendly and relaxed environment to both meet people and participate in something you care about.

3. Don’t be afraid to ask for help… we were all in your shoes once!

Students at Siena are super friendly and love to help out their fellow Saints. Don’t know where health services is? It’s okay – no freshman does – but an upperclassman will point you in the right direction or even escort you there (for future reference, it’s in MacClosky square where the townhouses are located). You just have to ask!

4. Hold the doors!

As you will very soon learn, if you haven’t already from your tour, Saints hold doors. Not only do we have our DORS values, we very literally hold doors for each other. If you see someone walking towards the same door as you, do the Saintly thing and hold the door for them. Others will definitely return the kindness.

Other Tips & Tricks

1. Take a walk over to Massry, or as the students call it, “New Hall” to have dinner!

It’s a pretty walk over to Massry, a lovely change of scenery, and an easy way to change up your daily routine for dinner. Plus, Massry has a completely different menu from Lonnstromm, perfect for when you want something a little different!

2. Bring your Saint card with you everywhere.

You never know when you might need to swipe into a building, pay for that last-minute Casey’s run, or show your ID, so it’s always good to have! Lanyards and accompanying ID cases are a great way to conveniently carry your ID and other essentials like credit cards and money. The school store carries some great Siena branded ones and Vera Bradley has great patterns for every collegiette! (P.S. If you want to avoid the equivalent of wearing a sign on your head that says “I’M A FRESHMAN”, avoid wearing your lanyard around your neck)

3. Clubs look GREAT on resumes.

In addition to being a great way to make friends, joining clubs and becoming involved in extracurriculars is great for your resume. Siena provides TONS of leadership opportunities in many different forms, so there’s something for everyone. The club fair on September 9th is a great way to learn more about Siena’s clubs and organizations and sign up for ones that interest you! After, you can go to a few meetings to get a feel for which clubs are right for you.

4. Read the Daily Digest!

The Daily Digest is Siena’s daily newsletter that contains links and information about events on campus, internship opportunities, important notices, and much more. At times during the semester, the Digest will appear to be 500 feet long, but there are some hidden gems in there that will actually be relevant to you! Take 5 minutes out of your day to check out what’s happening on campus.

5. If you’re awake when the Daily Digest comes, it’s time to go to bed.

Put down the book, cap the pen, close the laptop, and cuddle up in bed because it’s 3:45 a.m. and you need to get some sleep before your day begins. College is all about finding a balance, and sleep is more important than you’d think.

The prospect of the next four years might seem very scary right now, but trust us, you can totally do this! Coming to college is one of the first in many steps on the wonderful, fantastic, sometimes scary, but mostly exhilarating road to adulthood. You’ve got this and HC Siena is here to help see you through. 

Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter @hercampussiena