Apple Orchard Girl
Apple Orchard Girl
Alex Frank / Spoon

Orchards and Farms Near Siena College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

It’s that time of year again. The air is crisp, the leaves are falling, and it’s perfect weather for apple picking! I know it can be hard to get home for a weekend to go to your hometown apple orchard, so I’ve looked into a few apple orchards around Siena College, and many of them have more to offer than just yummy apples. It is important for me to note that the information I have gathered is current according to the orchard websites, though if you are interested in a particular activity that may be affected by COVID-19, it might be a good idea to call ahead and ensure you can still participate, and see if there are any new restrictions. Let’s take a look!

Apple Orchard Girl Picking Apples
Alex Frank / Spoon
The first orchard that I found is Bowman Orchards, which is about 20 minutes from campus. It’s located at 147 Sugarhill Road, Rexford NY, and it’s open every day from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m.

Apple picking season here runs from August until October. Here’s a list of all the types of apples that they grow (though growing seasons vary depending on the kind):

• Autumn Crisp
  • Cortland
  • Empire
  • Fuji
  • Golden Supreme
  • Greening
  • Golden Delicious
  • Honeycrisp
  • Pink Luster
  • Jonamac
  • Macintosh
  • Macoun
  • Mutsu
  • Pixie Crunch
  • Radiant Runkel
  • Red Delicious
  • Shamrock
  • Shizuka
  • ​SnapDragon

However, Bowman Orchards offers much more than apple picking! You can pick your own pumpkins in September or October, and attend their “Fall & Pumpkin Celebration,” which runs on Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. during the Fall. Festivities here include picking pumpkins and apples, listening to live music, eating from food trucks, and other family friendly activities, including pony rides! Hayrides are also available beginning at 12 p.m. on the weekends. But wait, there’s more at this orchard! There’s an apple cannon, gem mining, and a corn maze offering a 0.5 mile route, as well as a 2.5 mile route. If you’re interested in taking a trip to Bowman Orchards, feel free to visit their website

Cornhusk
Jenny Georgieva / Spoon

Next, we’ll take a look at Riverview Orchards, which is just 22 minutes down the road, at 660 Riverview Road, Rexford, NY.

This orchard is also open every day of the week from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m., September through December. As for apple picking, those hours vary slightly, as they are 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. daily.

Here is a list of the apples grown here:

• Red Delicious 
  • Golden Delicious
  • Jonagold
  • Cortland
  • Empire
  • Macoun
  • Idared
  • Macintosh 
  • Rome 
  • Mutsu 
  • Honeycrisp 

In addition to the delicious selection of apples, Riverview Orchards also has a large selection of baked goods at their bakery. From apple cider donuts, apple strudels and apple crisps to over 35 different kinds of homemade pies, you’re sure to find something to satisfy your sweet tooth! Like Bowman Orchards, they also have a 14-foot corn maze behind the orchard. For more information about this location, see their website.

Photo by Natalie Grainger on Unsplash

One more orchard near Siena College that’s worth a trip is Indian Ladder Farms, which is located at 342 Altamont Road, Altamont NY, about 25 minutes away from the college.

This orchard is also open every day from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m., with apple and pumpkin picking from 9 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. In the summer months, they also offer berry picking, including blueberries, raspberries, and black raspberries, but you should call their PYO (Pick Your Own) Hotline if you want to know which fruits you will be able to pick during your visit.

As for the types of apples they grow, here is their list:

• Cortland
  • Empire
  • Fortune
  • Fuji
  • Gala
  • Golden Delicious
  • Honeycrisp
  • Ida Red
  • Jonagold

Pumpkin picking can be done at any of the several patches at this orchard, and they’re also sold at their store if you’d rather buy them pre-picked! Something that sounds super fun are the “Baby Animal Days” at Indian Ladder Farms. In addition to their traditional, adult farm animals, during the spring, there are baby animals that paying visitors can engage with and learn about, including chicks, ducklings, bunnies, lambs, calves, piglets, and more! While this activity is sure to be fun for the whole family, there are also activities that the adults may partake in. On this orchard, there is Indian Ladder Farms Cidery & Brewery, which (if you’re over 21, of course) appears to carry many unique drinks! Adults may enter the Biergarten-Tasting Room if they wish to try them, and the farm provides the perfect atmosphere for a night out. For more information on Indian Ladder Farms, check out their website.

large room with a bar
Photo by Luca Bravo on Unsplash

There are certainly many more apple orchards and pumpkin farms in the area, so feel free to explore! There are only so many things I could write in one short article, so I would encourage you to look into these places yourself and see all of the fun things they have available. So, grab some friends, take a short drive to any orchard you’d like, and get pickin’!  

Avery is a senior Economics major, with minors in Business and French, at Siena College. Naturally, being from Massachusetts, she’s a big fan of the Bruins, Red Sox, Celtics and Patriots! Some of her favorite things include hiking and adventuring with her friends.