An Open Letter To My Parents: From College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

“Hi mom and dad, college is going well…

Yes, classes are going okay and my professors are not horrible…

Yes, I’m doing okay financially…

I’ve made a lot of friends and have joined many clubs…

I’m happy to hear the rest of the family is well…

I’ve got to go, thank you for calling! Love you too. Talk soon.”

Above is the usual conversation I have with my parents while I am at college. Below is everything that is unsaid.

Mom and Dad, 

I know I promised to call every Sunday and I’ve missed almost every one so far. I will blame it all on homework, but really, it just slipped my mind.

College is going okay, but it isn’t anything close to what people said it would be. Classes are hard and all my exams seem to be on the same day. I may tell you I am doing well grade-wise, but to be frank, I try not to look at my grades so I could not answer that question truthfully. I only find time to sleep during class and coffee is now my new best friend.

Financially…well, my bank account is plummeting on necessities, as well as my appetite because of dining hall food. I’ve made a lot of friends, but I also feel really alone sometimes.

It’s nice to be away from home, and I love going out and having fun with friends, but occasionally I wish I could come home and curl up on the couch with you. As much as I may say I am not homesick, I cannot wait until winter break. You always tell me you are proud of me; however, it is because of you that I am able to be here. Though I do not say it enough, I appreciate all that you have done for me so that I can spend these four years on this campus. Thanks to you, I can begin to pursue my career and my future.

I may not call every Sunday, but you are always in my heart. All the hardships of college are bearable knowing that you are only a phone call away.

Love, 

Yours truly 

Julia Parks is a Siena College Class of 2019 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Psychology.