This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Ah, yes. We’ve finally reached that time of year: finals season and below freezing temperatures. How are we supposed to get anything done if the sun sets at 5:00 pm? During the colder winter months (especially in the Northeast), it can be a serious struggle to stay motivated and happy all the time. But, there are so many different ways to take care of yourself and your mind to make beating the winter blues just a little easier!

1. Morning walks! These are a personal go-to. If you have the time, even getting a few minutes of sunshine and fresh air can work absolute wonders for your mind. It usually helps me start my day off on the right foot, and I get to have some extra time in the daylight that I wouldn’t normally have. I listen to a podcast (Emma Chamberlain always) and do a lap around campus! It’s the best way to get the day going. Feeling the sunshine on your face is an instant mood booster!
  2. Make your dorm room the perfect getaway! Having your own calming oasis can truly help you find your peace and happiness. String up some warm lights, find some comfy pillows, and hang up pictures of you and your BFFs! Surrounding yourself with things and people that you love is so important in creating your oasis.
  3. Perfect your sleep schedule! Your body needs a normal schedule to operate as it should. Create a routine out of it to pamper yourself and feel good, too! Lavender essential oil, a skincare routine, and cup of tea are all you need! This will help you feel refreshed during the day, and you’ll be able to get a full night of sleep so you’re ready to tackle finals season.
  4. Embrace the cold! Ok, this one might be easier said than done. But, if we’re in the cold, we might as well make the best out of it and face it! If it’s snowing, go outside. You can feel like a little kid again and catch some flakes on your tongue! Or better yet, a snowball fight with roommates! Building a snowman, going sledding, learning how to ski or snowboard, the possibilities are endless. Don’t let the snow keep you from the outdoors! 
  5. Find new indoor activities and hobbies! For those who aren’t exactly fans of snowy activities, this one might be more your style. Reading a new book can give you the perfect distraction from school work and real life. Or, find new activities to do with friends – a fancy dinner party, cooking together, building a fort and having a movie marathon, or having a DIY spa day! It is so important to stay connected to friends, especially if you’re not feeling the best in the winter. Switch up the routine and make time for a few fun things!

The bitter cold weather and lack of sunshine can do some serious damage to your mind and body. But, now we have a few easy ways to make those chilly winter months just a little bit easier! Finding things you love, no matter how small they may seem, can make all the difference in your mental health. So pick up that new book, watch the snow, and sit in your cozy bed! Summer isn’t too far away! 

Hannah Smith is a Sophomore Communications-Digital Marketing student. She loves all things gymnastics, Harry Styles, and Emily Henry novels! Writing is one of her passions and she hopes to be a journalist in the future!