The Lalastack Of Old Books And Glasses
The Lalastack Of Old Books And Glasses
Her Campus Media

My Top Five Young Adult Books

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

I recently just got back into the grind of spring semester, and I am missing winter break. I had – what it felt like – all the time in the world to read. Reading has been a hobby of mine since I was a little kid. I love the idea of getting lost in a story and escaping from my crazy and stressful reality. If you happen to have some free time and want to pick up a book, I have provided a couple books of different genres for you to pick up and read. 

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before

This is obviously a really popular movie on Netflix but did you know it was a book? Not only is it a book, but it is also a series! If you enjoy young adult romance, then this is the book for you. Each book of the series brings a new conflict to the relationship between Lara Jean and Peter Kavinsky. If you saw the movie and think that you don’t need to read the book because it is the same thing then think again. The book has so many details that the film fails to include, and it is definitely worth the read. 

Red Queen 

The Red Queen is more of a sci-fi fantasy book with a little splash of romance. The book focuses on this girl named Mare, who is of a poor Red family. Soon enough she discovers that she possesses something only Silver family’s hold. This is also a series of four books so if you enjoy the first book, you can continue on with Mare’s story. 

After

If you like romance with a lot of ups and downs and a crazy twist at the end then this is the book for you. Recently, this book has also become a film and is a series. The story takes place in college and centers around a distraught and complex young man named Hardin and an innocent girl named Tessa. Tessa possesses this uncontrollable draw to Hardin and she can’t get him out of her head. Take this opportunity to dive into their romance and get all wrapped up in the passionate love between Tessa and Hardin.

Educated

Educated is an emotional journey and memoir of a woman named Tara. Tara grows up among a strict family that believed in being secluded from society where her parents were her only teachers. She struggles with being loyal to her family while also wanting to go to school, learn, and experience the world in a different light. 

All the Bright Places

What a surprise?! Another love story! I would say that if you like The Fault in Our Stars by John Green then this book is kind of your speed. This story focuses on Violet and Finch. They both struggle with different things in their lives: Violet just lost her sister in a car accident and Finch is suicidal. Their love and bond between each other seems to be so strong throughout the story until something unexpected occurs. 

This list only contains a couple of my favorite books, and I know that they may not appeal to everyone but there are so many books out there in the world. You gotta try a little of everything to find what you like. I hope that this list helped you get inspired to pick up a book and read a little. I know that for me, reading helps me escape the stress of my everyday life and it could help you to but you will never know until you try it. 

Sophie Eisenbach is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. She studied Biochemistry during her time at Siena.