This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

A mantra is a short sentence or phrase that holds a positive message or affirmation. The most important use of mantras, I think, is when we say them to ourselves. This is a form of positive self-talk, which is when you intentionally use positive words of encouragement in your thoughts and words directed towards yourself. For example, rather than saying “I can’t do this,” you might say, “I’m learning new things every day.” Below are a few of my favorite mantras that keep me grounded and positive:

“I’m Doing My Best”

Sometimes when things are difficult or we have a lot on our plates, it feels like we are falling behind. This can be super overwhelming! By reminding yourself that you are doing things to the best of your ability, it can take some of the pressure off and remind you that you can only do what you are humanly capable of doing.

“In This Moment, I Am Okay”

This mantra works as a grounding technique. Much of our anxieties can revolve around the future, something which is almost entirely out of our control. Put yourself in the present moment, wherever you are right now, and remind yourself that you are living and breathing. You are okay. 

“I Am Safe”

Anxiety, particularly the physical manifestations of it, can feel very threatening. If your fight or flight mode has kicked it, you might even feel like you are in a life or death situation. In reality, you might actually just be stuck on a question during an important exam. Reminding yourself that you are safe tells your body that it can calm down, allowing you to reset and focus on the task at hand.

“You Are Enough”

If you know me you know that this is, personally, my favorite mantra. I think it encompasses a lot of things in just a few words. Despite not getting all your tasks completed, even if you didn’t please everyone you met today, although you didn’t get the perfect grade, just by waking up and getting out of bed this morning, you are enough. It can be challenging to not define myself by my accomplishments or productivity, but those things don’t define me.

One question I often ask myself is, “Is the way I am talking to myself the way that I would talk to my best friend?” If the answer is no, then I pick out a mantra and it can completely change how my day goes. Try it out!

Kelsey Baron is Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. She spent her time at Siena studying as an Interdisciplinary Major specializing in Healthy Intimate Relationships.