Siena College sign
Siena College sign
Original photo by Jessica Dery
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

The annual mock beauty pageant starring select Siena students raises money for Habitat for Humanity, an international organization that works towards providing affordable housing to those who need it. Habitat has built more than 500,000 homes for more than 2 million people worldwide. The organization was founded in 1976 and has been helping low-income families find affordable housing ever since.

Siena College sign
Original photo by Jessica Dery
Now let’s meet this years Mr. Siena contestants:

Her Campus Siena: What is your name, school year, and major at Siena?

Mr Siena Contestant: My name is Ragy, I am a freshman Biology major. 

HCS: What made you want to become involved with Mr. Siena?

MSC: I thought it would be a really cool experience, especially because it is done in the spirit of service to raise money for Habitat for Humanity. I also like trying new things and meeting more awesome people, and I thought it would be a great way to do so. 

HCS: Have you done any service trips? If so, where? Are you planning on doing any other service trips while at Siena?

MSC: I have indeed. Besides going on midnight runs and going to soup kitchens in NYC, I was blessed with the opportunity to go serve in the Hawaiian mission in Oahu with St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church in Honolulu. The Hawaiian mission works with different service organizations like: the Institute for Human Services, River of Life Mission, Next Step Shelter, PARENTS, Habitat for Humanity, and Safe House. It was an extremely humbling experience that I will never forget and I hope to go back someday and do a long term service stay there. I am definitely planning to go on many service trips at my time here at Siena to serve underserved communities wherever that is. 

HCS: Let’s give the people some hints…what special talent might we see at Mr. Siena?

MSC: I don’t wanna spoil too much, but all I can say is “GET HYPE.” Anything you would expect will be there.  

HCS: What would you like to say to the people of Siena?

MSC: I would like to say to everyone to donate to Habitat for Humanity if you can. We were so blessed with the opportunity to get an education and have many many luxuries that millions in this country and around the world do not have. We should be extremely grateful and strive to help others in our everyday lives. Service is not just a task, but rather it is a life that one leads.

Don’t forget to watch Mr. Siena this year via zoom! See you there May 13th at 9 p.m.!

Alexandra Gazdik is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Marketing with a Concentration in Digital Marketing and Marketing Communications.