burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

For the Love of Haute Couture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

It’s about time to show some appreciation for pure French haute couture.

We have all seen these immaculate and ethereal dresses on tumblr. Every bead sparkles and the lace overlay looks beautifully crafted, as if it were made specially just for that exact dress. Well, that is essentially the beauty of haute couture.

What is haute couture? The French term haute couture literally means “high dressmaking” and the garment is typically crafted in an atelier, which is the workshop above the fashion houses’ showroom in Paris. In today’s industry, haute couture means hand-made in Paris and fashion houses from Chanel to Elie Saab, from Dior to Zuhair Murad, create Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter haute couture fashion shows.

The couturiers hand-craft every element of the dress, hand sewing and hand stitching every detail that is applied to the dress, from the delicate, hand cut chiffon flowers to every sparkle-cladding jewel. This process allows for such extraordinary detail, however, we tend to lack to realize how much time and effort is put into creating one of these masterpieces.

THE ART OF HAUTE COUTURE

DIOR

CHANEL

ELIE SAAB 

AND A LITTLE MORE BECAUSE WHY NOT

And here’s a bit of appreciation of a few incredible pieces that different houses created

MURAD FW 2016-1027

ELIE SAAB FW 2015-2016

CHANEL SS 2015

CHANEL FW 2014-2015

So as you can see (hopefully), there is A TON of work and time that goes into making just one of these pieces, let alone an entire collection. If the process is just as mezmerising for you as it is for me, then you will probably enjoy watching some of the Making Of’s that Chanel uploads to their YouTube channel, so check those videos out! The magical world of haute couture deserves some much need love and appreaction for such an incredible craft. 

__

Cover

FeatherDress

DressGIF

Dior1

Dior2

Dior3

Dior4

Dior5

Chanel1

Chanel2

Chanel3

Saab1

Saab2

Saab3

Saab4

Saab5

Saab6

Saab7

More1

More2

Murad

Saab

Chanel

ChanelFW

Allie Plouman is a Siena College Class of 2020 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied English.