This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

I found that being apart from my hometown friends is definitely one of the hardest aspects of going away to college. Coming in as a freshman last year, I was nervous that the distance between us was going to eventually pull me away from some of my favorite people in my life. It is hard, and challenging at times, but if this is a concern of yours as well, do not worry! Just as any LDR, long distance friendships can certainly work – it can also make them even stronger than they were before.  

Image by Author

Honestly, thank God for modern day technology. Sharing daily gossip with my friends would be so much more tedious without it. That being said, know that your friends are always a text or phone call away. Some of my friends and I even set aside a block of time every week or every few weeks to talk and catch up. I love having that to look forward to in the days ahead, and I make sure to take mental notes of all the things I want to mention when we talk so I don’t forget. Even though we are all living completely different lives at the moment, it is a chance for us to come together and dedicate some well-deserved time to each other. In regards to communication, I’ve learned that a crucial aspect of staying in the loop of your friends’ lives is trading your own personal experiences back and forth, down to the little details! It may seem insignificant, but telling your friends what your favorite food in the dining hall is, what crazy amount of homework your professor gave you that night, what side of the room you sleep on, who your friends are and what they’re like, is one of the simplest ways in which you can feel closer to them while you’re apart.  

When the going really gets tough, why let the distance stop you? Being a collegiate athlete, I haven’t had many opportunities to visit a lot of my friends yet, but when I’m granted the time I try to plan a visit. It’s really exciting to see the places where my best friends temporarily live and meeting the people they spend all their time with. Also, I can only go so long without seeing their faces or giving them a hug (It’s good for the soul!).

Over the past year, my friend group from home learned that each of us is going to have a unique experience at our respective schools. Some of us adjusted to college life right away, while others felt a bit homesick and needed some more time to get used to all the newness (I can relate!). If you see your friends and other people from home living their best college life with their new besties on Instagram or Snapchat, try to resist comparing yourself to them if you’re not having the same experience. Be happy for their happiness and just know that your time is coming, it just might take a little longer. 

Side note: just as important as keeping in touch with home friends is making new friends in college. If you can’t FaceTime to catch up with your friends everyday or even every week, don’t stress! This creates an opportunity to spend more time with people at school and work on developing those relationships. College friends are of course different from your home pals, but they are just as special – living and spending close to 24/7 with them is something only family will really come close to. Your friends will be there when you return home, but you’re only in college for four years; make the most of them and make some lifelong friends along the way! 

It sounds a little cheesy, but the most important thing that has come out of my time apart from my home friends is discovering what it means to be a true friend. No matter where you go in life, people are going to leave and people are going to enter. However, those who do stick around, who do put in the effort to make your friendship last, are the people who are going to be in your life forever. Do your part to keep them around as well!

Image by Author

Julia Bryant is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied English.