Life Lessons I’ve Learned From Disney Movies: Cinderella

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

I think it’s pretty safe to assume that everyone has watched Cinderella. It’s a classic story that has had more adaptations than I can count and, of course, has some really important life lessons that we can all benefit from, especially with finals week right around the corner.

Photo Source

Hard work pays off.

It’s no coincidence that Cinderella’s stepmother and stepsisters end up with nothing at the end of the movie. While they rely on cruelty and wicked deeds to get what they want, Cinderella puts in practical hard work to achieve her goals. Even though she never asked to become a slave in her own house, she takes the hand she was dealt in stride and makes the best of it, eventually leading to the happily ever after she deserves.

Stay positive.

Even though she has every right to, Cinderella never once complains. This is not to say that you should just lay down and accept it when someone treats you like dirt, but it does go to show that maintaining a positive attitude does help when in dreary situations.  This is especially useful now that yet another semester is coming to an end. It is easy to fall into the trap of thinking that you will fail your finals and classes but, try your hardest not to let your mind go there. Staying positive is a useful tool to help clear your head of negative thoughts and focus on what you have to do to make this semester end on a positive note.

Remember to take some time for yourself.

One of the great things about this film that I think is often overlooked is that Cinderella doesn’t go to the ball to find her true love.  Meeting the prince, or any other man, is the farthest thing from her mind. She goes to the ball because she wants to have some fun and take a night off from her hard life. This desire is both relatable and important. When the stresses of real life begin to weigh you down, remember that you deserve to have some little moments to yourself. Whether it’s a break to watch an episode of your favorite show on Netflix, or even just five minutes sit and do nothing, taking a break will help you feel reenergized for when the time comes to get back to work.

Don’t give up on your dreams.

As Cinderella says:

Gif Source

Sometimes our dreams are the only things that help us get out of bed in the morning. Cinderella allows her dreams to fuel her drive in life, and it ends up working out really well for her. Even when things seem hopeless, don’t lose sight of your dreams and whatever else means the most to you. Everything you’ve been through will seem more worthwhile once you achieve your goals.

Rachel is a sophomore History Major and Women's Studies Minor hailing from Seneca Falls, NY. Her hobbies include reading, writing, spending time with friends, and spending more time than is humanly possible watching the TV show Once Upon a Time and reading/writing fan fiction. Her life goals include writing something that will later become famous and working as an important person at an important place.