A Letter to My Sister as She Gets Ready for College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

To my sister,

Time seems to move so much faster looking back compared to looking forward.  It is hard to believe my little sister, who once was so shy and giggly and had bangs for as long as I can remember, is becoming a woman.  Not only have you grown physically, but mentally and emotionally you never cease to amaze me.  You are wise beyond your years, full of wit and charisma and you make me proud every day.  Soon, you will be embarking on the next chapter of your life: college.  I think for me it is much scarier to see you grow up than it is for you to actually be going through it.  Seeing you receive your acceptance letters, get ready for prom and prepare for your journey is making me realize you really are all grown up. 

Going away to school can be scary, but I hope you know that you have a great support system behind you to help you transition.  You will grow up so much more once you’re away at school and I cannot wait to see where you education takes you.  Never forget where you came from, share stories about your childhood with your friends at school, carry on traditions from home and enjoy all that others have to offer on your journey.  Your classes will be hard but you are so intelligent and you are well prepared. Just establish a work ethic right off the bat.  Make sure that you study and put in the effort, college does not come as easy as high school. 

Do not be afraid to ask questions. The answers are there, but sometimes you’ll have to seek them out.  Be friendly to everyone; you never know who will help you find your home away from home.  Make sure your professors hear your voice and your thoughts, it is so important for them to know you in your pursuit of education and an eventual career.  Most of all, make sure you call home often.  Mom will worry and it is just as scary for her to see her little girl grow up.  You are so loved and we all cannot wait to see what the future holds for you.  No matter what, I will always be a phone call away and I am here for anything you need.  College will be the best years of your life and I can’t wait to see you make the best of them.

With all my love,

Your big sister 

Alyssa Prendergast is a Siena College Class of 2018 alumna. She studied Psychology during her time at Siena.