A Letter to 15 Year Old Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Image by Author 

Since entering senior year of college and applying for graduate school, I’ve been reflecting a lot on who I am and how the past decade has shaped me as a person. I’m 21 years old and still don’t have it all together, but I am extremely proud of the person I’m becoming. That being said, I wish I could go back and tell my 15-year-old self how awesome everything will be and how much that little girl has to look forward to. I wish I could tell her how good the mistakes she make will be, how happy she will end up being, and how many people will absolutely adore her.

On that note, I decided to write my 15-year-old self a letter and I’m hoping it will inspire another girl in their journey or on their path:

1. LOVE Yourself

The best lesson I’ve learned. You can’t allow anyone else to love you unless you love yourself, so stop the hateful comments toward yourself and love you for who you are. Tell yourself how beautiful you are every day and embrace being different with your personality. It’s worth it.

2. Pick and Choose Who You Allow in Your life

I know you want to do everything for anyone who will be friends with you, but don’t allow just anyone. Make sure they bring something to your table and love you entirely. I know your friends may suck now and you’re lonely, but I promise you will find incredible friends down the road.

3. You ARE Enough

You’re struggling right now. You think you mean nothing, but you are so entirely enough. Accept and love yourself, always. Forgive yourself, because your mistakes don’t define you. Charlotte, you are worthy and so loved. You have enough, you do enough, and you are enough.

4. Don’t Be Scared of Change

Nothing is meant to stay forever — good or bad. So take risks, say what’s on your mind, be honest. The sky’s the limit. You are such a fearful person sometimes, but change is good. You’re going to be so thankful for the change in the next few years.

5. Love Mom and Dad

Stop picking so many fights and being so angry with Mom and Dad. They are going to be your best friends in a few years. Cherish every time they take you skiing, drive you around, and want to spend time with you. I know they make you mad and upset you sometimes, but find other ways to take your anger out. They love you and want what’s best for you.

6. Stay Healthy

Get outside as much as you can and watch what you eat. Stop drinking root beer and eating french fries. A healthy body is essential. I know it’s annoying to hear, but physical health leads to a healthy mind!!

7. Self Care

Always remember self-care. Sing and dance as much as you can, lean on your family, lean on your friends, and ride horses. It’s so important to take care of you.

8. Save Yourself:

Stop giving so much to people who could care less about you. Don’t chase what doesn’t flow. Make sure you’re saving some oxygen for yourself instead of giving and giving to everyone.

9. Don’t Sweat the Small Things 

I know high school seems soooo important right now, but I guarantee you, 21-year-old you won’t even remember what seems so bad or hard this week. Allow yourself to feel your emotions but let them go after. They won’t matter in a year.

10. Have Fun

Stop being so uptight!!! Let yourself have fun and stop being so judgmental. Make mistakes, laugh at yourself, and don’t walk away until you’ve learned a lesson.

11. Life is a Journey, Not a Destination

I know you’re not happy right now and everything seems so worthless, but I promise you have such a great journey ahead. You are a work in progress and have so many people you haven’t met yet. We’re so happy right now at 21 years old. I’m applying to grad school, about to get my BSW in social work, and I have the best friends in the world. Don’t Give Up, it’s only upward from here. Be confident, love yourself and stand out. You’re amazing.

Living every day to the fullest and trying to change the world