Lauryn Gurgan 22′, President of Make A Wish Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Lauryn Gurgan is a current junior here at Siena College! She is a psychology major with a minor in sociology and will be graduating next May! Over the past three years of being on campus, Lauryn has gotten involved with plenty of clubs and organizations here at Siena. She is a member of the Campus Ambassadors, SAINT Orientation Leaders, and is the President of the Make a Wish Club! The Make A Wish club is based off of the Make A Wish foundation that works towards raising money to fulfill the wishes of critically ill patients between the ages of two and a half and 18 years old. The club on campus works to fulfill those wishes for kids, and Lauryn is an incredibly active member working hard to make sure those wishes can come true!

Her Campus Siena: What made you want to get involved with Make A Wish on campus?

Lauryn Gurgan: My SAINT Orientation Leader freshman year was the Vice President of the club at the time and encouraged all of the members in my orientation group to sign up and get involved not only in Make A Wish, but all clubs on Siena’s campus. I found this club to be interesting and something that I wanted to get involved in and since she made the recommendation of joining, I’ve been a member of the club since the fall semester of my freshman year!

HCS: How did you decide to run for President of the club?

LG: At first, I had applied for a different position on the E-Board of the club, but no one decided to run for President during that election, so I decided to run and see if I would get it or if it would be something I’d want to do. After the elections, I found out that I got the role of President only as a freshman being in the club but it worked out well since I knew from the beginning I wanted to be as involved as I could be!

Bich Tran

HCS: What are some of the more notable things Make A Wish has done recently?

LG: Something that was definitely notable and I am proud of for us as a club was last semester we held online donations for just a week to see how much money we were able to raise for our club, and surpassed our goal by raising over $5,000. We had a team page set up through the Make A Wish Foundation and from there any family, friends, or colleagues were able to donate to the Siena page to help us reach our goal and grant a wish. That fundraising event really was one of the bigger things we’ve accomplished.

HCS: Having a higher position in the club, how does time management help with school and the club priorities?

LG: It was pretty difficult at first getting used to things, and having not only the responsibility of school and all my classes but also being in charge of the club and all the events and duties that came along with being President. What helped me most was getting into a routine of setting aside hours to do things relating to school, and time that I would spend working on things for Make A Wish. Having a to-do list for both things really helped me plan my time and schedule in other things that related to either element as well as finding time to still relax and see my friends. 

person reading poetry books next to tea and flowers
Photo by Thought Catalog from Unsplash

HCS: What’s your favorite part of being involved in the club?

LG: Easily my favorite part of being involved in this club is getting to know new people, both on and off campus. I have met so many new people here at Siena since joining the club that I definitely wouldn’t have known if it weren’t for joining freshman year and I’m so grateful for that. I have also had the opportunity to meet people off campus, such as the head director for Make A Wish on college campuses. When we did our most recent fundraiser last semester, she reached out to me and we were able to meet a boy who’s money our wish would be granting. In that sense, I find it so enjoyable not only to meet other members of Make A Wish Foundation but also the children whose wishes get granted!

HCS: If you could pick one of your favorite memories of the club, what would it be?

LG: One of my favorite memories of the club since freshman year would have to be the pancake drive here on Siena’s campus for other students where the E-Board made pancakes and delivered them to different dorms on campus as a fundraising opportunity to raise more money to go towards a wish. It was great to do something collectively as a team and work together both to make the pancakes and raise more money to grant a wish for a child. 

Talking with Lauryn gave me a much deeper insight to all of the incredible work that Siena’s Make A Wish club does both here on campus and off campus! It was so interesting to learn that she has been in this position since her freshman year, it really shows how dedicated she is to the club and all her peers in it! Lauryn is a dedicated leader to the club, and hopes to continue with the work they’re doing throughout her senior year!

Jessica Dery is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Marketing and minored in Human Resources.