This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

The blue jean, a necessity of every girl’s wardrobe, is also one of the hardest pieces of clothing to shop for. We all have a unique body type and shape, and finding the perfect fitting jean can be extremely hard. As a 5’0” human, I’ve had my fair share of disappointment when it comes to jean shopping. Fortunately, from working for a Levi’s at an outlet mall near home two years back, I learned some interesting facts about finding the right pair of jeans. If you ever struggle with jean shopping, go over these facts before that next trip to the mall.

1. Know how to read jean sizes

Some people may find the number sizes on jeans confusing, and that’s because they are. If you pick up a pair of 28” X 34” pair of jeans, that means a 28” waist and a 34” length. The average height of females in the U.S. is 5’4” and that coincides with a 32” length. Short girls need to focus specifically on 30” or 28” length (which should be the second number you see). 28” is usually the shortest length and, personally, my best fit length-wise.

GIF Source

2. Waist does NOT equal length

The waist is a completely separate portion of the jean’s fit. Keep in mind, you may have a different waist number for different lengths, or even for different jeans that are the same length. Usually, lighter wash jeans are more stretchy material than dark wash, and so you may be able to go down a waist size. A 24” waist is equivalent to a size 00 or 0, a size 26” would be a size 4, and a size 30” is equivalent to a size 10 (the European conversion is different). The size numbers are very close to one another, hence why it is easy to be both a 26” and 27” waist. Jean stores will usually have these conversion charts available to look at.

GIF Source

Most importantly, remember that the size does NOT define you or your self-worth. The best fitting size will the one that makes you feel and look the best.

3. Find your style first

So many times when I was working, there were girls so fixed on finding the correct size, only once they were in the fitting room did they realize they left out their taste. Such things to consider are: which wash you’re into (there are so many shades within dark, medium and light so be sure to look around the store first), whether or not you want jeans with holes, whether you’re looking for an everyday jean or a jean to match with a dressy top, and the jean type (which range from super skinny to bootcut to flare). Having even a general idea of the kind of jeans you’re looking for will help you, or the sales associate helping you, to narrow down the choices.

Just so you know, these jeans are actually all different style codes (their own shade of dark blue) and there’s many, many more.

Image Source

4. Try on before you buy

I cannot stress this point enough. The only sure way you will know that the jeans you’ve picked out actually fit right is if you try them on. The time it takes in the fitting room is worth the assurance that the (probably expensive) jeans will fit.

GIF Source

5. Let your body decide

Different jean styles compliment different body shapes. Taking a chance on jeans other than skinny fits might surprise you. The only way you’ll know is if you give other styles a try. High-waisted or mom-style jeans where the pockets are higher up help to lift the butt, giving a fuller effect. If you have a more voluptuous shape, make sure that the fabric is stretchy, so it will better form to your natural curves.

GIF Source

Thumbnail Source

Alanna DiFiglia is a Siena College Class of 2020 alumna. She studied Management during her time at Siena.