Life > Experiences

Jared Macfarland: ’21, President of Delta Sigma Pi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Coming into college I knew that I didn’t want to join a traditional social sorority, however, I did want to be able to get more involved and make some new friends. Being a business student, when I heard about Delta Sigma Pi (DSP) I was excited to get more information because it seemed like a good way to meet new people who also shared my love for business. For me, joining DSP was about getting to accelerate my business professional skills and creating connections with other brothers and alumni. The President, Jared Macfardland, has been a key feature in making DSP interactive and a close knit group of people on Siena’s campus. He is a junior here at Siena and was elected by the chapter to be president. He has helped run many events on campus, such as Dress for Success, and has shown to be a valuable member in Delta Sigma Pi. 

HCS: How would you describe DSP? 

Jared Macfarland: DSP is a professional business fraternity. It is a great way for college students to get involved more on campus as well as to make friends who you will hopefully have for the rest of your life. DSP provides a starting point for young professionals, for example, it teaches students how to dress and act in a professional setting. It also helps upcoming leaders learn better how to lead people and not manage people as much. It provides valuable leadership skills to young professionals. 

HCS: Why did you get involved with DSP? 

JM: I got involved in DSP because the summer before going into Freshman year, my mom was browsing the Siena website and thought that I would be interested in DSP. She then convinced me to Instagram DM the President at the time and ask some questions to see how the pledging process works and to see if it would be something I would like. So when Fall semester came and I was settling into Freshman year I decided to pledge. I think she did this because being a commuter I was really interested in more ways to get involved and being a part of DSP has provided that for me. 

HCS: What are the major things you have got out of DSP and learned from it? 

JM: The main thing I have learned from being a member of DSP is how to lead people and not directly manage them as much. Of course, being the current President, I have many responsibilities and it’s important for me to manage the Chapter, but I want to be a leader for current members and future pledges. I want to be enthusiastic, and I want to be able to excite the members and inspire them to also get more involved. Another skill I have been able to improve through DSP is how to delegate tasks and get more people involved that way. ‘

discussion
Photo by Antenna on Unsplash

HCS: What is the best part about being a brother? 

JM: Just seeing brothers everywhere on campus. Whenever I am walking to a class I always see at least one brother and it’s nice to have this whole network of people on campus that you can see and talk to. It’s also nice on the first day of classes when you walk in and already have people to sit with and work with because you know them through DSP. 

HCS: What would you say to someone who is thinking to pledge, but is unsure? 

JM: Definitely do it, even though it’s a lot of work, the pledging process is a great experience to meet new people. After the eight weeks pledging, the class has a tight bond. And all the other brothers know what you are going through because we have all gone through the same process, so reaching out and talking to brothers about it can be helpful. 

woman posing in business casual dress
Pexels / mentatdgt
Jared, like many others, has gained powerful experience and knowledge through DSP that will help him on a daily basis in the business world as he gets older. Being a member of DSP helps you retain useful skills that could give you an upper hand when it comes to job interviews and being a young business professional. 

Caroline Seppa is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. She studied Accounting with an Information Systems minor during her time at Siena.