Desk flatlay?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Desk flatlay?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

Improvement of 21st Century Skills

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Life skills such as, active listening, oral presentation and comminocation, use of vocabulary and language, taking different views (while working together in groups), brainstorming/collaboration, generating solutions, communicating opinions, risk taking and anticipating problems, can be improved when individuals have the incentive to improve them. These skills can help individuals in numerous ways throughout their lives. All of the skills below can be found in a mapped out document in this link – along with the article (which I strongly encourage everyone to read). 

Active Listening

Active listening is a huge asset to have in life. Listen actively to others and where you agree or disagree with them lets them know you respect their ideas, even when you disagree. 

Oral Presentation and Communication

Communicate your ideas and findings effectively and with clarity helps everyone around you. It helps you raise interesting and provocative questions, and go beyond what is expected.

Use of Vocabulary and Language

Understanding when to adjust your everyday langauge is truly an aspect everyone needs in the workforce and in other areas of life. Use language in meaningful ways can inspire, entertain, inform and persuade others around you. 

Taking Different Views 

This skills works great, especially in group settings. Looking at situations from a variety of viewpoints an help identify problems, use time productively, and make sure everyone is involved.

Brainstorming/Communication

Working together with others offers a variety of different ideas and perspectives. 

Generating Solutions

Generating several possible solutions or approaches to a problem or project can make life a little easier. This teachers you to evaluate problems using criteria of practicality, efficiency, and elegance to choose the best solution.

Communicating Opinions

Communicating opinions can seem daunting in certain situation. But learning how to do it effective, clearly and thoroughly being able to explain your opinions, address different points of view on the subject, and support your opinions with credible evidence.

Risk Taking

Risk taking is scary, but being able to seek out new experiences without worrying about what others think of you, or wondering whether you will make mistakes. 

Anticipating Problems

Being able to think ahead about what’s going on in a project in order to anticipate and avoid different kinds of problems is incredibly helpful.

Having an understanding of these 21st Century skills will allow you to be able to strive in the real world. In addition to this, these skills will allow you to create an advantage over others in the world around you.

Nicole Caldara is Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Psychology and also had a Business minor and a Human Resource Development minor.