Style

I Used to Hate Chunky Heels, But Now I’ve Embraced Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Image Source

Let me start out with this: I’m a stilettos bitch through and through. The beauty of a sleek, slim heel with it’s gorgeous click on the ground is absolutely stunning, and so much more appealing to look at than a chunky heel. It’s three-inches or nothing in my world! Things have changed, but my passion for heels has not. As a girl who used to hate all things heels, I’ve come a long way in the shoe department, and my love of the stiletto is still strong, but chunky heels have become my new best friend.

Image Source

Chunky heels – despite their clunky look – are so much more comfortable than a sexy stiletto! As a girl who needs to get to class or stand on my feet for a long time, a chunky heel is so much better to stand/walk on for hours than a thin heel. I’ve been trying to update my wardrobe in the past few years, and tennis shoes just aren’t going to cut it with every look. The extra comfort a chunky heel provides is worth the clunky, not as sleek, shoe moment.

On top of the extra comfort, the chunky heel is so much easier to walk in than the stiletto. Chunky heels are good on any type of pavement, even cobblestone! Unless you’re Rihanna, a stiletto isn’t the easiest thing to walk on uneven pavement with, but the chunky heel will save your ankle and your dignity!

Like I said before, I’m a stiletto type of girl. Stilettos come in all shapes and sizes: they have pumps, ankle strap ones, platform, round or pointed toes, strappy ones, tie ones, etc. A couple of years ago, if you wanted any of those styles, it was stilettos or bust, but recently chunky heels are reinventing themselves. Chunky heels are totally having a moment! And with that comes new styles. You can find a chunky heel equivalent to any stiletto style.

Image Source

With this change, and the desire for more comfortable footwear, I started to embrace the chunky heels. The first pair I ever bought, I bought in my first month of college. I love the strappy black design, but I didn’t like the thick heel so much. But $20 and a desire for a strappy pair of heels, I bought them, and now I love them (even if wearing Band-Aids isn’t an option, but a requirement). And since then, I’ve bought more and more pairs of chunky heels and boots. Now, as much as I love a good stiletto moment, I instantly reach for the chunky heel every time I want to elevate my outfit just a little. Gif Source

Stilettos, you are still my favorite type of heel, but I’ll save you for a special occasion.

Alyssa Guzman is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she Double Majored in English and Communications Journalism with a minor in Writing and Communications.