How To “Study Abroad” Without Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

There is this idea that in order to ‘travel’ and to ‘see the world’ you have to go abroad to Europe, China, and Australia. I don’t understand this idea. There are many opportunities to ‘travel’ and to ‘see the world’ from Albany. That may sound crazy to some, but in the next few weeks I’ll give you a few locations you can get to from Albany so! you can have the same “study abroad” experience without having to go to another country. You’ll also get some sweet Instagram pictures!

First stop: Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls is only four and a half hours away from Siena College. I see no justification of a not being able to go and have a “study abroad” weekend. If you don’t have a passport you can stay on the New York side of the border. You can leave Friday and stay until Sunday to have the best weekend ever. You and the driver can even take turns driving so you both can do homework on the drive!

Photo Source 

Things to do:

• Walk on the pathway along the Falls. Cost: Free!
  • Have a picnic in Queen Victoria Park. The park is covered with many, many flowers beds and it is free to roam around. Perfect for going in April!
  • Niagara Parks Floral Show house. Cost: $5. Times: 9.30 A.M. to 5 P.M.
  • Fireworks! Every night Niagara Falls has a firework show! Cost: Free!
  • Butterfly Conservatory where 2,000 butterflies are! Cost: $13.50 Times: 10am to 5pm
  • Niagara Glen where you can have go hiking on trails that overlooking the Niagara River Whirlpool! Cost: Free
  • Ripley’s Believe it or Not Museum Cost: $13.99 Times: 10 am to 10 pm
  • Maid of The Mist. This boat ride takes you up close and personal with the falls. You’re actually given blue disposable ponchos to wear so you don’t get soaking wet. Cost: $12.65 Times: Unfortionally, this ride is available only during the summer and fall (May 20th to November 6th).

Fun places to eat:

• Lake Effect Artisan Ice Cream. This ice cream store has a wide variety of flavors and creative names to go along with each flavor. They even have a flavor called Chicken and Waffles!
  • Skylon Tower. This is pretty pricey and you have to make a reservation. However, you’re getting the best view of the falls and a great meal)
  • Savor Restaurant (Culinary Institute) This is a really unique restaurant. Students, like us, cook for you to learn how to create a professional atmosphere. 
  • Explore! One of my favorite parts about studying abroad was finding new and exciting place to eat at. 

Places to Stay:

You can either rent a hotel or you can rent an Airbnb. Studying abroad has taught me how to figure out Airbnb.com. Before booking a place, look at pictures, ratings, hours of check in and out, and comments from people who have stayed there previously. I know this sounds pretty scary if you’ve never booked a place before, but once you do it for the first time it’s a piece of cake afterward. 

Advice:

• Before you whip out your camera to take the most epic Instagram picture, enjoy what is in front of you.
  • Stay safe. Don’t go by yourself. Go with at least one other person or preferably two other people. 
  • It’s okay if you eat too much. Don’t feel guilty.
  • If you don’t feel safe leave the location and go somewhere you feel safe. 
  • Have fun! 

Photo Source

Logan is a senior English major with a Writing minor at Siena College. In her spare time, she writes for both Her Campus Siena and her own blog The Peculiar Porter. This spring she is heartbroken to graduate but knows eventually she'll have to enter the real world. She loves Mexican food, has a weird obsession with cacti and candles, and enjoys traveling to quirky places. You can follow her on twitter or Instagram (@thepeculiarporter) to get a glimpse into her life.