How To Stay Connected On Campus with Ashley DeFreitas ’22 and Peyton Coones ’22

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Peyton Coones ’22 is a Junior Psychology major here at Siena and is the President of Psychology Club. Ashley DeFreitas ’22 is a Junior Accounting major and is the co-leader along with her sister Paige DeFreitas for Station V as a part of Campus Ministry here on campus. Both of them have really great ideas going forward to make sure that everyone stays connected with one another especially in these unprecedented times that we are currently in. 

Her Campus Siena: How are your clubs staying connected here on campus?

Peyton Coones: Psychology Club is holding all of our campus events this semester online. We believe it is important for our members to stay connected, even when social distancing measures are in place. Everyone is welcome to join and we hope to make it a place for students to make long-lasting friendships and connections.

Ashley DeFreitas: The Chaplain’s Office is still trying to do as much as we can in-person to maintain important relationships between friends and colleagues on campus. It is important, especially in a time like this to be able to spend time with other people (socially distanced, of course!). We are trying to make this semester as normal as we possibly can, so being able to meet in-person can provide a good sense of connection and human interaction that we have been lacking for so long.

family on beach at sunset
Photo by Jude Beck from Unsplash

HCS: What are some activities that you are thinking about running?

PC: This year, the Psychology club is hoping to host numerous events such as trivia and movie nights, a semester book club, and Jeopardy. These events will be open to anyone, psych major, or not, and we will include prizes throughout!

AD: I am in charge of running a more relaxed activity night that meets weekly through the Chaplain’s office. I have been doing a couple of online events such as Jeopardy, and in-person events like Bingo. I am excited to continue planning events both in-person and online such as a scavenger hunt, escape room, and trivia nights. 

Book of Music in Leaves
Photo by ulleo from Pixabay

HCS: How do you think members of Siena’s campus can stay connected to each other?

PC: Members of Siena can stay connected with one another by taking advantage of the virtual activities that are posted on SaintsConnect. Hundreds of different clubs and organizations are holding different events each day, ensuring we all are able to stay involved, even when times are tough. 

AD: The Siena Community can get involved with so many different virtual and in-person activities this semester. Even being able to host Zoom calls with friends for a virtual meal together or to study for exams as they approach is a great way to lean on each other and enjoy the company of others. Although social distancing has been clearly seen across campus, so have games of frisby on the quad, groups of hammocks set up by Roger Bacon, and students eating together on the Paddock. Being able to witness and be a part of these activities will help us get through this semester and this pandemic, and are great reminders that no matter what, we are not alone.

Anna Schultz-Girls Laying In Grass At The Park
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Ashley and Peyton are both excited and ready to make sure Siena students are able to stay connected with one another on campus through their leadership positions they hold on Siena’s campus. They have amazing ideas that they are really excited to show Siena and Siena’s campus will be better for it! Tune in to Psychology Club events and Station V events on SaintsConnect to see what events they are hosting and when!

Megan Schubmehl is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. She studied Psychology during her time there.