How to Reduce Your Dependency on Single Use Plastics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

With pollution levels on the rise, there are many ways to reduce the amounts of single use plastics every day with ease. Below are a list of ways to lower your dependence on these types of products and make a difference in the environment. 

Nordstrom

Reusable Water Bottles and Cups

Bring your own container when buying a beverage or use a stainless steel bottle for everyday use instead of plastic. 

Glass Tupperware

Avoid using/buying plastic tupperware for storing food items in the refrigerator. There are many benefits to using glass for storage.

Trader Joe\'S Reusable Bag
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
When Shopping, Bring a Tote

When going to the grocery store or shopping in general bring your own tote to carry the items you purchase.

Say No to Plastic Straws

When ordering from coffee shops or restaurants bring your own reusable straw or ask for no straw with your beverage.

Avoid Plastic Packaging

Often multiple packaging options are available for the same item. Opt for the item sold in the recyclable container, the cardboard box or carton rather than the plastic tub. 

Use Silverware for Events Instead of Plastic

Avoid using plastic “throw-away” silverware at parties or special event . Even though we all dread doing the dishes after a large event, it does have a significant impact on our environment and the amount of plastic we use in our daily lives. 

glas

fruit smoothie in glass with metal straw
Photo by Element5 Digital from Pexels

Buy Beverages Bottled in Glass

Make the switch from bottles sold in plastic to glass or other compostable packaging. There are many options out there such as glass and cardboard. 

Buy Plastic-Free Soaps

Swap liquid soap for package-free soap, usually found in farmer’s market and in some grocery stores

a cup of makeup brushes is in focus on the right, and a small handful of brushes lays out of focus on the table to the left
freestocks | Unsplash

Buy Makeup Products in Glass Packaging

Many makeup brands sell their products in glass packaging, so paying attention to the amount of plastic in their packaging is key

Recycle!

While specific recycling rules vary from town to town, the EPA provides a starter guide that covers the basics. Contact your local department of sanitation for more information. And keep in mind that recycling isn’t just for everyday disposables. When your blender calls it quits or it comes time for that kitchen upgrade, there are programs that can help haul away your small and large appliances too.  

Being more aware of plastic use, we can make our planet cleaner one step at a time!

Magen Fortin is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. She studied Health Studies/Health Sciences at her time at Siena.