This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

We all struggle with our hair. God forbid we make any impulsive decisions and change it because we all know most of the changes we can make to our hair are permanent. I impulsively cut my hair this summer and all I can think about is having it all grow back!

Gif Source

So, if you’re anything like me and yearn for long hair, I’ve got some tips for you….

Oils are key

Believe it or not, a bottle of olive, coconut or castor oil will save your hair. These oils stimulate hair growth. Olive oil contains mono-unsaturated fatty acids that promote blood circulation and produce thicker hair. Coconut oil contains vitamin E, vitamin K and iron which penetrate the hair shaft and promotes hair production. Now I saved the best for last; castor oil contains Ricinoleic acid. Ricinoleic acid is an Omega-9 fatty acid that can penetrate the pores of the skin and keep your hair growing.

Image Source

Apply a leave-in conditioner into your hair after you wash it

Image Source

Conditioning your hair after the shower is the step that’s going to prevent damage. When you condition your hair, especially with products that don’t contain alcohols, your hair is nourished and protected before it is styled.

Cold water rinses after you condition your hair

Gif Source

This is a life-saver! When we rinse our hair with hot water we strip our hair of its natural oils. However, cold water locks the natural oils into our follicles.

Never wrap your hair in a cotton towel ever AGAIN!

Gif Source

This is a mistake made by many. We are so used to seeing women on TV or movies walking around with their hair wrapped in towels. But is that good for our hair? No. Instead of a regular towel, it’s best to use a microfiber towel. A microfiber towel will not only reduce frizz but will also absorb excess water. If you don’t have a microfiber towel, you could also use a clean t-shirt. (T-shirts work just as well!)

Don’t wash your hair every day

Gif Source

Washing your hair every day will dry your scalp and reduce hair growth. Your hair will not only produce an excess amount of oils but it will result in dandruff.

Ditch cotton pillowcases

Image Source

Regular cotton pillowcases cause friction, thus our hair is often too tangled in the mornings. Sateen pillowcases, however, are a softer surface not only for our hair but our skin! This type of material prevents breakage and frizz.

Apply a conditioning mask to your hair weekly (especially if you apply heat to it)

A conditioning mask isn’t necessary but it is beneficial. It puts extra moisture into our hair and keeps it feeling soft and looking super shiny. This is a really important tip for those girls who apply heat to their hair daily!

Massage your scalp

Image Source

Aside from increasing relaxation and decreasing stress, massaging your scalp increases blood circulation to the hair follicles and boosts the strength of the hair roots. This is great to do on Sundays before you apply your conditioning mask.

Remember, this isn’t going to happen overnight.

This takes time, so if you don’t look like Rapunzel don’t worry! Hair grows about 1.25 centimeters or 0.5 inches per month and around 6 inches per year. So be patient and watch your hair grow!

Gif Source

Thumbnail Image

Mayely Vasquez-Vega is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. She studied Management during her time at Siena.