This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

At the beginning of the year, my sister told me that I should join Her Campus. I asked her what it was about, she said it was a club for writing. Automatically I was like, “No way! Is she crazy? She thinks I am going to write for fun?” Well, turns out, she was right! These past few months since I joined Her Campus, has been one of my favorite things! This club has been amazing, and I am doing things I never thought I would do because of my comfort zone. It is safe to say that Her Campus has made me a strong and (trying to get there) independent woman.

Here’s what HC has taught me! 

Her Campus Media Design

Writing Skills

I have never been good at writing, at least that’s what I thought. I also never truly liked writing until I started Her Campus. Writing whatever I wanted though, did sound appealing. This club has let me write about anything and everything, something I am very passionate about: makeup, The Bachelor, challenges, and everything in between. I have been able to write about both those things. Writing about things that I am passionate about makes me feel good about my writing and my writing skills. My self-confidence has gone up a lot since I joined Her Campus!

Anna Schultz-Girl Using Laptop In Cozy Bed
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Comfort Zone

I am the type of person that once I meet you, I talk for days. It is just the getting me out of the house that is the hard part. In the beginning of the year, I was involved with HC. Now, I participate even more. I am training to take over the Social Media Coordinator position! Once I started being a part of the club and actually writing articles, I learned how much I loved it and that I wanted to be more involved. Throughout this whole experience I have made so many friends and have learned so much. I created my first ever YouTube video and created a channel for our club. I would have never thought I would be doing anything like that. I am doing something that I love and am passionate about and I am thoroughly excited to see what the Fall Semester brings!

Learning

I have learned so many things about myself through this club. I have found my passion! I have learned how to become a Social Media Coordinator (still in training). I have learned how to publish an article, which is crazy. I am an author! This has been so helpful, because many of my friends who are involved in the club, have questions and I am able to help them. I have become a leader, and I have never described myself as a “leader” before! Molding myself into this role has been a challenge, but it has been something that makes me me. I also learned what it takes to run a club, which is hard. I give props to everyone on the E-Board, and I am so thankful for them for teaching me.

four women working at conference table job
Pexels / Christina Morillo

This club has done nothing but amazing things for me. I am branching out and becoming a strong woman. Without this club, I would not be able to do what I love. Creating content is something that has become so special to me! I get to create flyers, videos, posts, and everything in between. I am so empowered by the other women who are a part of this club, we can all learn a little from each other!

Alexandra Gazdik is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Marketing with a Concentration in Digital Marketing and Marketing Communications.