Life > Experiences

How to Deal with Your Best Friends Being Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Traveling abroad is something that so many college students look forward to, but many people still remain on campus all four years. It can be hard when a best friend or a few friends leave for an entire semester. Being in this position, with two of my best friends abroad, I have found some easy ways to stay connected and still feel close to them even though you may be in two different countries. 

The biggest tip I could give friends that are separated for the semester would be to download the Whatsapp app. This app allows you to text, call, and video each other without any fees involved. It is very similar to  iMessage or FaceTime, but without the international fees. Now that social media is such a big part of our world it is easier than ever to keep in touch using Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, and more. With social media, my friends and I have found that setting time aside every few days is the easiest way to ensure you get to talk to each other. With time differences this can be difficult at times, however, once you find a routine it becomes something to look forward to during the week. 

Image Source                                                                                             

In terms of being on campus without some of your best friends, the best thing to do is get more involved with clubs, sports, or organizations that will continue to keep you busy and leave less time for you to be alone in your room. Joining clubs, sororities, or teams are great ways to not only keep yourself busy, but it is also such a great way to make new friends and find other people that are also interested in whatever activity you are choosing to participate in. Another good way to make some new friends and meet new people is to talk to people in your classes more, because typically the classes you are taking are related to your major so you are meeting people who have similar interests. 

At the end of the day nothing beats just walking next door to go say hello, however, going into the semester with a positive attitude and being open minded about making new friends and joining new organizations can make the transition back from summer or winter break significantly easier, and make your semester more enjoyable. 

Image Source

Caroline Seppa is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. She studied Accounting with an Information Systems minor during her time at Siena.