This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Yay! We’re going back to school! But this year it’s Covid style. Many colleges and schools have already made their plan on coming back to school. This school year may be different, but it will definitely be one to remember. So, how do you go from being at home for the past five months doing nothing to suddenly being back at school again? Well, I am here to help you with that transition.

A vector illustration representing the Earth wearing a mask.
Photo from Pixabay

For the past five months I have been at home with my family, no summer job and a couple summer classes. As a person who did their part in social distancing, I know what to expect going back to school. At home I would make sure I was active and doing things throughout the day to keep myself busy. This is very important for back to school! You have to stay busy, if you’re in your room the whole day you will get very bored. With having the strict guidelines set in place at school, you have to be flexible with what your activities can be. Just a simple walk around campus to get out of your dorm, play some tennis or basketball outside, or sit on the quad and do homework will lighten your day. Although this semester is going to be everything but normal, we need to male the best out of this situation.

The Lalatennis Shoes Grass
Her Campus Media

Keeping yourself busy is very important, but you should also make time for yourself. Picking one day a week to you pamper yourself is a good thing! Do a facemask, or spend that extra 15 minutes in the shower shaving, or doing a hair mask. Sundays are usually my days spent where I relax, and spend some girl time with my friends. Giving yourself one day a week is not a lot to ask of yourself. Maybe even do a social media break on this day and try not to be on your phone. Find your happy place and get ready for the upcoming week. I know this semester will have minimal breaks to none, so the weekends are very important for our mental health.

Original Illustration Designed in Canva for Her Campus Media

Another struggle is school food. Going from home cooked meals everyday to the dining hall is tough. This is possibly the worst part about school, the food. Going off campus is definitely not recommended, so maybe try Grub Hub, DoorDash, Uber Eats, anything so that you maintain your distance. It is difficult going from being able to leave whenever you want to now it being looked down upon. Try and do your part as much as you can, I know the struggle of bad dining hall food.

Coronavirus
Unsplash

This semester will be one for the books, but I am so happy to be back on campus with my friends again. I hope this article helped a little bit with your COVID-19 struggles and returning back to campus. Living at home was nice, but now I am excited to start this new chapter

Alexandra Gazdik is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Marketing with a Concentration in Digital Marketing and Marketing Communications.
Alyssa Guzman is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she Double Majored in English and Communications Journalism with a minor in Writing and Communications.