Hollywood’s Empowering Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

There are tons of strong women out there to look up too and not all of them are getting the recognition that they deserve. Our weekday warriors are empowering role models, but we have some amazing ladies in the public eye as well.

EMMA WATSON

My favorite is Emma Watson. She was the UN Women Goodwill Ambassador, she has a Feminist book club called Our Shared Shelf, where she recommends books about equality and diversity. Also a part of her work with the UN, she launched the 10x10x10 impact, which brought HeForShe to college campuses. Emma Watson is pretty badass, if I do say so myself.

Above is her UN Speech: I’m A Feminist speech. 

TAYLOR SWIFT

Alright, so this one might be a little controversial as some say she’s not even a true feminist, but whatever your opinion is, she’s still a great role model for young career women. She stays true to herself, she’s business savvy, and she makes amazing speeches at her concerts and at award shows. Two of my favorites are:

Clean:

Grammy’s 2016:

Taylor Swift continues to inspire young girls. 

ELLEN

Image Source

Who doesn’t love Ellen! She’s the more down version of Oprah. She’s incredibly generous and supportive and obviously one of the funniest people on Earth. She’s always giving back and helping people out. She recognizes though she normally wouldn’t be recognized and makes celebrities uncomfortable by scaring them and asking detailed questions about their love lives. She picks people up when they’re down and she can always make someone smile.

RIHANNA

Image Source

In my friend’s words, “She’s a boss ass bitch and she makes foundation colors for all skins tones. And she can walk over grates in stilettos.” Rihanna is unapologetically herself and releases some amazing songs. According to The Telegraph, Rihanna is the ultimate feminist role model. Rihanna lives feminism, saying, “There’s something so special about a woman who dominates in a man’s world. It takes a certain grace, strength, intelligence, fearlessness, and the nerve to never take no for an answer.” And on top of that, any girl that can walk across grates without dying like Rihanna does deserves a damn crown.

THE WOMEN OF TIME’S UP

Image Source

After the roar of the #MeToo movement, Time’s Up began gracing the world’s red carpets. Although there aren’t definite leaders, there are few big names, like Reese Witherspoon, America Ferrera, Eva Longoria, Natalie Portman, and more. They continue to work for a better life for women and demand respect from higher ups.

ALY RAISMAN

To be honest, I didn’t care much for Raisman until she spoke at Nassar trial. It scared her to get up and talk about her assault and her speech was beautiful. Her reaction and grace throughout the whole trial changed my view of her. And she continues to fight for female gymnasts.

I know there are many more that should make the list, but these are just a few.

Thumbnail Image Source

Alyssa Guzman is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she Double Majored in English and Communications Journalism with a minor in Writing and Communications.