Groutfits: Taking Over the Fashion World, One Person at a Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Every few decades there are things that have a lasting impact on our society. There are new technological advances that have the abilities to begin revolutions, give people new-found voices, and completely change the way one perceives the world. This past fashion season, a revolutionary breakthrough occurred: the groutfit.

Now you may be thinking, “What exactly is a groutfit?” A groutfit is an outfit that has gray as the only color in the whole entire outfit. It is incredible because you can dress super chic in all gray, incorporating different types of textures and patterns, and also have different shades of gray. I believe that this lets an individual’s true fashion expertise shine. An easy way to dress up a groutfit if it seems like it is missing a little somethin’-somethin’ would be to add jewelry, a bag, a cute headband, or even a scarf.

Another common and great way to wear a groutfit is by wearing a warm fleece, paired with a scarf and workout pants or leggings. This look is pictured below, and was captured exquisitely by Kylie McKenna, a sophomore Accounting major.

However, my favorite type of groutfit consists of all gray sweats. Nothing says, “I’m a force to be reckoned with” more than a sweatpant and sweatshirt groutfit. It’s one of the highest forms of an ultimate power-move.

I have several “go-to” sweatpant and sweatshirt groutfits. One of my favorites consists of a hand-me-down thermal from one of my cousin’s colleges, paired with a pair of my trusty – and comfortable – Siena sweatpants. Throw on a large, knit, gray scarf, and a pair of gray Ugg boots, and you’re good to go!

Another fun aspect of sweatpants and sweatshirts groutfits is that if you ever see another person wearing one while you’re wearing one, you will more likely than not feel a connection with that person. Mutual respect will be shared between you two, and you’ll see that the bond of a sweatpant and sweatshirt groutfit can be stronger than the bond that undeniably exists between peanut butter and jelly. It’s simply breathtaking.

Pictured above sporting the comfy groutfit look is freshman and basketball sensation, Sammy Friday. Sammy can be seen walking around Siena wearing this popular trend at least once a week. 

If you choose to wear the most trendy fashion-statement of the year, feel free to post a picture on social media and tag @hercampussiena!

Rep Image Source

Kathryn Anderson is a Siena College Class of 2020 alumna. She studied Marketing during her time at Siena.