The Grotto at Siena College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

The Grotto  is a new place on campus to relax and enjoy the beauty of nature that surrounds Siena College. The money that was donated to build the Grotto was a gift from the senior class of 2014. The original goal for donations was  $12,000 but the Siena Community went above and beyond and raised a total of $12,200 dollars.

The construction for The Grotto took place this past Summer and Fall. The opening day for the Grotto was Sunday, October 19, 2014. Many members of the Siena Community including students and faculty came to the opening ceremony to support The Grotto.

The Grotto is modeled after the shrine in Lourdes, France. The Grotto has a beautiful miniature stream and candles which are protected under the stone arch. The Grotto also includes the following statue’s, the statue of Mary, which was from the original grotto on campus. There is also the statue of St. Francis and St. Claire of Assisi and St. Bernadine of Siena.  The Grotto is a place where people can come and worship as they please in a place that is peaceful and spiritual.

The Grotto is similar to The Grotto at Notre Dame. The Grottos both have an emphasis on the statue of Mary, which is located on the front of the Grotto.

The Grotto at Siena is a place that students can go to seek spirituality, refuge, and just peace and quiet. When the money was raised, the donors hoped that this was going to be a memorable and impactful place for students, parents, alumni, and visitors to come that would be a new special place for Siena College. It’s safe to say, the current students love it, as well as everyone else.

Ashlyn Krzyzak is a Siena College Class of 2016 alumna. During her time at Siena she was an English Education Major.
Nora Gleason is a Siena College Class of 2016 alumna. She studied Creative Arts during her time at Siena.