womens history month?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
womens history month?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

Get to Know Siena’s Franciscan Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Siena’s Franciscan Center is a little known jem of our college campus! They provide many services to students who want to volunteer and make the world a better place! Through their volunteer opportunities, they sent 10 students to Costa Rica to help underprivileged communities; and they will be sending 12 students this semester!

They also partner with the St. Francis Inn in Philadelpha. They offer weeklong volunteer experiences once or twice a year for students to work at the dine-in soup kitchen. Cassandra Martucci, a member of the Franciscan Center, says that their previous volunteers say they enjoy serving the people who come to the Inn at their table, instead of through an assembly line. Martucci says, “One unique trait of the Inn that our volunteers really appreciate is the way in which they are tasked with serving the guests at their tables. Many soup-kitchens require their guests to wait in a line to be given a plate, but the St. Francis Inn believes that being served at a table fosters a stronger sense of dignity and community in those who need it most.” 

They also offer many other ways to get involved, including a once a semester Service Saturday, and once a year Community Service Day! The Franciscan Center has partnered with The Ronald McDonald House, Joseph’s House and Shelter in Troy, New York, and the Mohawk Hudson Humane Society to bring their events to life and to help the surrounding community. 

Not only do they help the community, but they help the environment! The Franciscan Center recently hosted a Canvas Bag Day on March 3 to coinside with New York State’s ban on plastic bags that took place on March 1, 2020. 

They are also huge on appreicating their volunteers! They celebrate National Volunteer Appreication Week to thank all the students who have put forth their time and effort to help support the Franciscan Center’s many endeavors! The volunteers receive lots of food and gifts during this week from the Franciscan Center to show to how thankful they are for their volunteers. 

group of girls holding up bags of bagels
Franciscan Center of Siena College

Responses have been edited for clarity.

Her Campus Siena: What is the Franciscan Center, and what do you do? 

Franciscan Center: We’re located in Hines Hall. The Franciscan Center for Service and Advocacy provides students with local, national, and international volunteer and service immersion opportunities. Our mission is to develop a strong sense of compassion, responsibility and solidarity between the Siena Community and marginalized populations. As a part of the Mission Office, we strive to motivate all students to become lifelong advocates of social peace, justice, and integrity.

HCS: Who is in charge of the Franciscan Center (President(s), Vice, Treasurer, other roles, etc.)? Tell us about them! 

FC: Judith L. Dougherty is the director of the Franciscan Center for Service and Advocacy. Judy has worked at Siena College for 25 years, beginning her tenure working the Chaplain’s Office. She transferred to the Franciscan Center for Service and Advocacy in 2005, and became the first lay woman director in 2014.

Judy comes from a long line of Siena alums. Her father, brother, and both children, Matthew and Meagan, graduated from Siena. Judy’s mother, Joan, also worked at Siena for 25 years, working in the Arts Department (her nickname was Joan of Arts!). Judy received her Bachelor’s Degree, Summa Cum Laude, in 2006 with a major in Religious Studies and a minor in Franciscan Service and Advocacy. Judy’s son, Matthew, graduated that same year and they walked across the stage together! It was a very proud moment for her!

Judy loves her job in the Franciscan Center. She enjoys meeting and working with students on service and advocacy programming, immersion trips, and mentoring first-year students. Judy is the advisor for both Habitat for Humanity and Colleges Against Cancer. Judy devotes her time putting her faith into action. She inspires all students to make the connection between our Franciscan values by learning about our global community and by making a difference in our world. We are all called to be in service to and with others, be respectful of all and care for our environment. Judy hopes to inspire all students to understand and live these values throughout their lives.

lady sitting at a desk
Franciscan Center of Siena College
HCS: What are some upcoming events you have this semester? 

FC: [Our upcoming events are:] 

• March 22 – 27: Make a Difference Week
  • Saturday, March 28: Service Saturday
  • Saturday, April 4: Relay for Life (hosted by Colleges Against Cancer)
  • Saturday, April 18: Community Service Day
  • April 20 – 25: Volunteer Appreciation Week

***We will add more specific information about the events planned for Make a Difference Week and Volunteer Appreciation Week as they approach, so be sure to check our social media and the Digest for details!

HCS: How do you join the Franciscan Center? 

FC: We are always looking for more students to join our organization! Signing up is super easy – just visit the link in our Instagram bio for a list of upcoming volunteer opportunities and corresponding registration links. If you don’t have an Instagram, simply email Judy Dougherty at dougherty@siena.edu and express your interest in becoming a volunteer.

HCS: Anything else you would like our readers to know?

FC: We’d love to have any and all students volunteer with us! The communities and agencies we work with rely on our students to advocate for them and their needs. Whether you join us once a year or at every function, your help is greatly needed and appreciated!

girl and boy looking at a phone
Franciscan Center of Siena College
The Franciscan Center is very involved on campus, and definitely support good causes! Check them out and volunteer! 

Alyssa Guzman is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she Double Majored in English and Communications Journalism with a minor in Writing and Communications.