Fun Ways to Give Back During the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Giving back is a big part of the holiday season. Here are some fun volunteer opportunities and ways to give back during the holiday season.

1. Adopt a Family

By adopting a family, you can help an entire family in need. You can buy the family many different things that they both need and want. You can also choose to deliver the gifts yourself to see the joy on the family’s faces once they receive the amazing gifts you bought for them!

2. Donate Old Clothes and Accessories

Gather up some of your old clothes and accessories and then donate them to Goodwill or Salvation Army. Check their sites to find the closest one to you.

3. Pay Ahead in a Drive Thru

If you are in the drive-thru and you have extra cash, pay for the person behind you. This is a perfect random act of kindness for the holiday season. It will brighten the stranger’s day. Hopefully you can set a trend and start a pay it forward chain!

4. Donate Old Cards

At the end of each holiday or birthday season you may be left with a big stack of cards. You can donate your old holiday or birthday cards to St. Jude’s Ranch for Children. They will take your old cards and make new ones out of them. 

5. Bell Ringing

Volunteer to do bell ringing for the Salvation Army. Volunteers are the difference between an empty kettle and one that raises about $30 per hour. That $30 per hour is used to buy food for families and provide them with shelter. It will be something great to experience with your friends!

RaShonda Jones is a Siena College Class of 2017 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Marketing.