This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

I was first introduced to Fortnite over the 2017 Christmas break. I was quite intrigued when cartoon characters jumped off a flying sleigh/bus and glided to certain destinations on the “map” so I continued to observe the game. Unlike many violent video games, Fortnite feels more utopian-based. Despite having to kill others in order to be the last player standing out of 100 players, there is nothing truly gruesome about the game itself.

image source

As a girl who does not have much experience with using a PlayStation controller, the game is physically impossible for me to play, but watching my boyfriend play for hours on end will suffice. Personally, my favorite feature of the game has to be one’s ability to become a bush. Not only does this plant provide a great method of escaping harm, but the bush has Christmas lights on it, too! How adorable is that?

gif source

If you’ve become familiar with Fortnite, you can understand when I ask, why do the players jump like there is hot coals under their feet and what is with the random dance moves? The kangaroo-like jumping and the dancing is quite comedic and light-hearted which I respect because these subtle elements decrease any overall goal to portray violence.

gif source

After carefully analyzing the building of walls, the chopping of trees, the healing of teammates and many other techniques, the most challenging feat of them all has to be shooting an opponent. Unless you have a purple weapon or something with equal or higher caliber, odds are you will not achieve Victory Royale. Also, does anyone else get a little nervous when the storm closes? A bunch of time is given to reach the storm and that is all well, but seeing a bunch of little cartoon people jumping with their weapons ready in the distance is freaky! You obviously know you’re all going to the same place, yet you’re hoping that your aim and gun skills are better than your opponent’s once the battle begins.

gif source

Reading up until now, it probably seems like I’m a major advocate for Fortnite… but, there comes a time after hours when enough is enough. Whether it be trying to FaceTime, hangout, or get a text back from your S.O., odds are you will not get the response you’re looking for in a timely manner because Fortnite is WAAYYY more important than anything else. Take it from a girl who has been hung up on multiple times just because a Fortnite game with friends was about to begin. Don’t get me wrong, the game is a better alternative to some of the horrific video games out there, but you have to get back to reality and priorities eventually… right?

gif source

The constant map updates and the game’s lack of cost are definitely appealing, but a new development for Fortnite was recently released… People can now play Fortnite on-the-go. Thus, we can all thank the App Store for the texts and calls we will not be receiving anytime soon.

gif source

thumbnail source

Amanda Buck is a Siena College Class of 2020 alumna. She studied Biology during her time at Siena.