burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Reasons Why I Love Consignment Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Recently there has been a ton of hype around second hand shopping. While there is a lot of focus placed on thrift shopping, I feel that the process of consignment shopping is not fully appreciated. Checking out local consignment shops is one of my favorite pastimes, and I would recommend it to anyone. If you are wondering why I love consignment shopping so much, continue reading!

You Can Make Back Some Money

Consignment shopping is a little bit different from thrift shopping as it is a way for people to make money off of the clothes they bring. Instead of feeling guilty about getting rid of your clothes, participate in consignment shopping and you can make some money back!

It is Sustainable

So many clothing pieces are being mass produced just to get thrown away after they have been worn a couple of times. Consignment shopping is a great way to give old clothing pieces a new home and eliminate waste.

You Can Find Hidden Gems/Rare Pieces 

Consignment shops tend to have rare pieces that you can’t find anywhere else. The best way to find these hidden gems is to carefully look through every rack. This is a great activity to do on the weekend with a couple of your friends!

You Can Buy Things at a Discounted Price 

Mostly everything at a consignment shop is sold at a discounted price as the clothes are sold second hand. This is a great way to expand your wardrobe without breaking the bank.

You Can Help Support Local Businesses

Many consignment shops are locally owned, and shopping at these stores helps support local businesses in the area. I highly suggest searching for these locally owned consignment shops as you may find different pieces that you would not find in chain consignment shops. 

There are many great locally owned consignment shops in the Albany area and I highly suggest checking them out. It is well worth your time and money; I am sure you will have a great expereience! 

Samantha Welsher is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. She studied Mathematics during her time at Siena.