Lindsay Thompson-Music Festival Miami Ultra Lights Stage Concert Balloons Music Edm
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Ever since the rise of one of the most beloved boy bands, Harry Styles has been in the spotlight with his adorable personality, charming looks, and amazing vocals. 

Harry Styles has always been a super private person, especially with his sexuality and his past relationships. With his new album, Fine Line reveals a side of Harry Styles that his fans haven’t seen before. This is very fitting, because the whole theme of his album is about identity. His catch phrase is: “Do you know who you are?” I feel like this theme is super relevant to society today, because people often are trying to find themselves, whether it is their sexuality, gender, or simply what their purpose is in life.

Without getting super deep into the psychology behind the album, I thought I would share my thoughts about the album!

Golden

“Golden” is definitely one of my favorite songs on Fine Line. It has a pop sound, which usually isn’t the style of a Harry Styles song. I think that this song definitely can be a confidence booster, because it is so upbeat and has a positive message regarding love.

Watermelon Sugar

“Watermelon Sugar” is similar to “Golden,” because it just makes me want to roll down my windows in the car and sing loudly. It has a pop and dance vibe to it, which makes listeners want to play this song on repeat. Harry Styles starts slow in the beginning with a guitar and bass, which then builds up to a very upbeat ending. Overall, no matter what mood I am in, I can always listen to “Watermelon Sugar.”

Adore You

“Adore You” has a different twist compared to “Golden” and “Watermelon Sugar.” This song contains a lot more psychadelic sounds, and is very repetitive with its chorus. It is a very good song, but it’s not my favorite of the upbeat songs on the album. Currently, it is playing a lot on the radio, which I think is great for Harry Styles to gain fans, because a lot of people wouldn’t listen to his music voluntarily. Overall, I think this song is very catchy, but it does have a mixed emotion with it, so it’s difficult to know if it is a dance song, or just a song to listen to sitting still.

Lights Up

“Lights Up” was Harry’s first song released from the album, which really set the theme of the album. The song features many psychadelic aspects, which is also clearly portrayed in the music video. The song clearly emphasizes how Harry feels in regards to his own identity with lyrics like: “Shine, step into the light. Shine, so bright sometimes. Shine, I’m not ever going back.” Clearly, he isn’t ashamed of who he is anymore and is more comfortable with expression, which is seen in the way he dresses. In the music video, that lyric is expressed a little differently, which I think is linked to the pressing question about Harry Styles’ sexuality. To me, it seems to be that he is attracted to males and females, but it still remains unknown as he will not answer this question for his own personal reasons.

Back to the song and following this tangent, I really like this message, because it forces you to think about who you are and who you want to be. The vocals are also incredible, which makes the song even more loveable.

Cherry

Personally, I can’t listen to “Cherry” for the full duration for a couple of reasons. I think it is a very interesting song and it reveals a vulnerable side of Harry Styles, which a lot of us don’t know about. It’s a very slow song, and for me, I have to be in a specific mood to listen to slow songs. Also, I feel like this song isn’t very relatable for me, which is why I don’t listen to it. It’s about a previous girlfriend of Harry Styles, and how she left him for a new boyfriend. I do like the subtle music underneath the music though.

Falling

No doubt, I am in love with “Falling.” It is relatable and moving, which is needed for today’s music with slow songs. One of the things that I love most about this song is that there is only piano with vocals. The song is so simple, which really allows me to enjoy the vocals without getting too overwhelmed with the instruments in the background. Just like “Cherry,” this song reveals the vulnerable side of Harry Styles and his struggles with his past relationships, which also really allows his fans to relate to him.

To Be So Lonely

In my opinion, “To Be So Lonely” has a similar feel to “Adore You.” It has a very interesting vibe, which I can’t quite describe with words. I definitely recommend listening to this song, because it is so different than anything Harry Styles has writen before, which I absolutely enjoy new styles.

She

In regards to “She,” I have mixed feelings towards this song. I really like the psychadelic aspects of this song, as well as the lyrics. One of the things that I don’t quite like about this song is that it is six minutes long. For my attention span, I can’t listen to a slow song like this for such a long time.

Sunflower, Vol. 6

“Sunflower, Vol. 6” is in my top five of the entire album. It’s very upbeat with a unique melody. I really like the lyrics behind the song, and I would really recommend listening to the song!

Canyon Moon

I absolutely love “Canyon Moon.” It is an overall positive and upbeat song with very nonsensical lyrics, which makes the song even more enjoyable. I really love the instruments in the background, which just supplements the incredible vocals that Harry sings.

Treat People With Kindness

“Treat People With Kindness” is Harry Styles’ motto, which I think is absolutely the way to live. For me, this song makes me have mixed feelings. I really like everything, but the chorus. It kind of reminds me of a children’s song, which doesn’t make me want to listen to it when listening to the entire album. Other than that, Harry Styles’ vocals are incredible in this song.

Fine Line 

To be completely honest, “Fine Line” doesn’t live up to the expectations that I have for a song named after the album’s title. I can’t really listen to this song for the full length either, because it is mostly just instrumentals without a lot of vocals. At the points of the song where there are vocals, it is very simple and repetitive of the same lyrics.

I hope this gives you a deeper look into the album. While my opinions aren’t the definition of the album, I would definitely listen to the album! And give Harry Styles some major credit for his hard work and talent!

Elizabeth Kraupner is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Psychology.