Emily Radigan ’19 – Her Campus Siena Senior Editor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Ever wonder who the wonderful ladies are behind the Her Campus Siena articles? This year you’ll find out! Check back in every now and then for our profiles of each member of the amazing Her Campus Siena team. 

Name: Emily Radigan

Year: 2019/Senior

Major/Minor/Certificate: Self-Designed Interdisciplinary Major in Gender and Sexuality Theory and Activism, Political Science, Philosophy, minor in Sociology, Certificate in Interdisciplinary Research Methods

Hometown: Brooklyn, NY

HC Siena: Why did you choose your major(s)? 

Emily Radigan: I chose my majors because they all contribute something unique to my goals and interests in life. I am an avid feminist. I’m specifically interested in the intersections of race and gender and the implications of those intersections for feminist theory and activism. I’ve tried to really incorporate these perspectives into my self-designed major. I’m also very interested in social science research as a way to learn more about these intersections, which is where political science comes in. Philosophy helps me to theorize what I’m learning and how to explain certain feminist phenomena. Altogether, these majors help position me to do and contribute to feminist political theory, which is what I ultimately want to do. 

HCS: Why did you want to get involved with Her Campus Siena? 

ER: I wanted to get involved in Her Campus Siena because it looked like a fun club with a focus on empowering women (which is obviously a major interest of mine!)

HCS: What is your favorite part of working with Her Campus Siena?

ER: My favorite part of working with Her Campus Siena is getting to see younger writers really find their voice and style. As Senior Editor, I feel so, so lucky to be able to be involved in this and help facilitate this. I also love that it’s a club where we really just lift each other up and encourage each other. 

HCS: What are you involved with on campus?

On campus, I’m involved in a number of clubs. Of course, I’m involved in Her Campus Siena, where I’m the Senior Editor. I’m also involved in the Sr. Thea Bowman Center for Women, where I am currently serving as the Executive Intern. I’m a Damietta Advocate for the Damietta Cross-Cultural Center, President of Philosophy Club, Editor-in-Chief of the Promethean, Wellness Leader with the Office of Health Promotion and the Events Coordinator for Political Science Society. I’m also an active member of Pride-GSA. I love being involved in so many different things because I get to meet so many different people and work on some really great projects. 

HCS: What is your favorite thing about Siena?

ER: I have two favorite things about Siena. One is the wonderful research opportunities available to students. I’ve been able to work on multiple research projects and do several independent studies through CURCA. These experiences aren’t always available to undergraduates and I’m very thankful to be able to have done these. For example, I presented research I did with my professor, Dr. Rong Fu, this summer at a conference in Philadelphia. My other favorite thing about Siena is the sense of community. I know everyone says this and it’s kind of corny, but it’s true. 

HCS: What would your memoir be called and why?

ER: My memoir would have to be called I Don’t Know What I’m Doing, but I’ll Make It Look Like I Do. This is basically what goes through my head every single day!

HCS: What’s your favorite food?

ER: This one is so hard! I have so many foods that I enjoy. However, if I had to pick, I guess I would say pasta because there’s so many things you can do with it!

HCS: If you were stranded on an island, what three things would you bring?

ER: A boat, a first aid kit and water. Not very imaginative, but that’s my answer. 

HCS: What is your ultimate career goal?

ER: My ultimate goal is to become a professor teaching in Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies. I hope to be able to also be engaged in various forms of activism and community engagement.