This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Let’s admit it, we’ve all geeked out over something. It’s fantastic to love a show, a game, or even a book enough to just get super happy every time you see it. There’s nothing wrong with that either! If anyone tells you otherwise you should cut them out of your life immediately, because you don’t need that kind of negativity in it.

Although, there is always that question of how you show you like the thing in a way that doesn’t make you feel like you’re annoying everyone around you by bringing it up all the time. Well, as someone who has been doing this all her life, let me help you out a bit.

1) Look good in the clothing

A great way to start a conversation about that thing you love is someone noticing that you’re wearing a shirt with your favorite character on it or a dress based off a map in a book. I can’t tell you how many times I have struck up conversations with complete strangers about Mass Effect after they complimented my top. It may not be the cheapest thing to get clothes that go with your fandom though, so try to hit up online sites or stores during sales. If you’re handy with a sewing machine, you could always make a cute dress too!

2) Decorate your room

This one won’t be as public as wearing something, but it’ll still be your own little form of expression for your fandom. Posters are always a go-to and there are several sites where you can find more unique stuff to go with your aesthetic. I’m also a fan of pop funkos and plush toys since they are both small and adorable. You can also make your own fan art for your walls if you feel like you’ve got the skill. Siena craft nights are great for that!

(Photo courtesy of Victoria Simpson)

3) Wear buttons and stickers

This is another more outwardly thing you can do. Buttons and pins are great for sprucing up a backpack or a purse; plus, they’re more discreet if you don’t want to be too obvious. Besides, you can pick up a bunch for really cheap at a store in the mall. Stickers might be a little hard to come by, but there are plenty of places online if you do a simple Google search. These are great for making your boring silver laptop cute. If you want to just draw on your laptop with a marker, go for it! Do whatever makes you happy!

4) Lastly, just embrace your geekiness

Never be ashamed of liking something! It’ll make doing things a lot easier and you’ll just be happier. Ignore people who try to say you aren’t enough of a fan or tell you how to appreciate that thing you love. They aren’t the authority – you are when it comes to what you do.