Dunkin Beyond Meat Breakfast Sandwich Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

In November 2019, Dunkin released the Dunkin’ Beyond Sausage Sandwich at approximately 9,000 of its locations, and as a result, their net income rose 7.6 percent over the entire year. Dunkin partnered with the company Beyond Meat to create a plant based “sausage” patty made out of ingredients such as sunflower, peas, mung beans, and rice. This sandwich appeals to vegan customers (if they just order the “sausage” patty) and vegetarians alike, which are both growing markets. The sandwich itself consists of egg, melted cheese, and the Beyond Meat “sausage” patty on an english muffin. The “sausage” has been described to taste just like the real thing, so of course, I had to try this breakfast sandwich for myself in order to find out. 

Msu Spoon_Universityfried Egg
Spoon University

I have been vegetarian for about three years now, and attempted to be vegan, I lasted on the plant-based diet for about three months. Right now in college, following a vegan lifestyle is not something I have found to be the easiest, because I rely on the food my college prepares. Even though Siena offers plant-based and vegetarian options, there is not the largest variety to choose from when it comes to meals. Regardless, I have cut out meat completely and have reduced the amount of dairy I consume immensely. As a result, whenever I see that a new vegetarian or vegan food item has been released I get very excited by how the demand for these types of food has increased so much over the past few years. 

Being a fan of the Beyond Meat “burger,” I already assumed their “sausage” patty had to be just as good. However, I was surprised that a fast-food restaurant was one of the first food places to offer this patty, especially Dunkin since they are known for its coffee and donuts. Dunkin marketed this new menu item as a healthier option than their regular breakfast sausage sandwich, because the pea patty has 10 grams of protein, 33 percent less saturated fat, reduced cholesterol, and less salt. There were so many advertisements for this new meatless option, that the day it came out, I had my boyfriend drive me to the nearest Dunkin so we could try it.

Rainbow Sprinkle Donuts Stacked
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Now on to the review, the sandwich did not take long to make and I got my food fairly fast from the drive-thru. The breakfast sandwich came wrapped in a green Beyond wrapper, which was a nice touch to emphasize the vegetarian option. The meatless patty was thicker than I thought it would be, the texture was soft but not greasy like a regular sausage patty typically is. And it was seasoned so well, it tasted exactly like sausage. Even my boyfriend, who is a meat-eater, was shocked by how real the “sausage” tasted and regretted not getting his own, as he proceeded to eat half of the one I had ordered. The cheese was melted over the egg which was fresh and cooked well, while the English muffin balanced out the saltiness from the other ingredients. Overall, the breakfast sandwich components worked perfectly together and the Beyond Sausage Sandwich from Dunkin is something I recommend meat-eaters and vegetarians/vegans all give a try.

Katie Molinari is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Psychology.