This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Everyone always hears stories about what life is like for people living on campus, but not so much is heard about the commuter population. As a member of this group, I can say a few things for certain.

Pro: You Don’t Have to Share a Room

Commuter Student = NO ROOMATES…well, except your family. The plus side? You aren’t rooming with a complete stranger!

Pro: You Have a Quiet Place to Study

In the dorms, quiet spaces are basically a “foreign” concept. Commuters have the bonus of being able to study in their own rooms in a quiet setting.

Pro: You Can Spend More Time with Family

As a commuter, you are living at home with your family. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about dealing with homesickness. You get to see your relatives every day!

Con: You Have to Deal with Horrible Traffic

EVERY driver has to face traffic at some point. Driving to campus in morning traffic? Not a good thing! However, if you leave home early enough you can get a head start and beat most of the traffic.

Con: Weather Will ALWAYS be an Issue

Welcome to New York: the snow capital! At the end of the fall semester – and for the first three months of the spring semester – you have to drive in SNOW! This is another instance in which leaving home early is to your benefit so A) you have time to clean off your car before leaving and B) you can drive safely. Note: If the storm is TOO bad, definitely use your best judgement.

Con: You May Not Feel as Included in Activities as a Resident Student 

At Siena, we have a Commuter Student Association. They offer free meals at different points in the semester, and it’s a great way to meet other students that are in the same position as you. Also, when you are on campus you can join clubs. JUST because you’re a commuter does NOT mean you have to feel left out of school activities.

These are just some of the pros and cons of being a commuter. I hope these help some first-time college commuters fit in at school.

Kaitlyn Bossert is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied English while also minoring in Educational Studies and also Spanish.