neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

You have probably met him at an admissions event, or maybe he even interviewed you before coming to Siena. Colin O’Reilly is one of our admissions counselors here at Siena. Continue reading to learn all about our campus celebrity.

Campus Celebrity – Colin O’Reilly

Occupation – Siena College Admissions Counselor

Graduating Year – 2012

When at Siena Majored in – English with a Minor in Broadcasting

Hometown – Cohoes, NY

HC: How long have you worked here at Siena?

Colin: When I graduated I actually worked at Albany Broadcasting for three months then came back to work for Siena that September. I just celebrated my three-year anniversary, and I’m just going into my fourth year here.

HC: What made you want to continue staying at Siena to work here?

Colin: When I was a tour guide. I got accepted spring semester and I started giving tours. I became really close to the whole admissions office and realized that this was a place that I wanted to be. I really liked being able to travel to different places and I always wanted to tell my story at a reception. When I finally was able to do it, it was great. But, overall I would say I wanted to stay here because of my involvement as an undergrad student here.

HC: Have you worked anywhere else besides Siena College and Albany Broadcasting?

Colin: I actually also work at the Ruck in Troy as a stand up comedian.

HC: Do you like being an admissions counselor?

Colin: Oh yeah, the first year was a whirlwind, between traveling in the fall, reviewing applications in the spring and all of the different events going on throughout the year. But I love being able to meet students and get that close connection with them, especially through being the head of pathfinders, that’s so much fun!

HC: What is the biggest perk about working at Siena?

Colin: Pathfinders would definitely the biggest perk (an all freshmen club for students at Siena). By working here I really get to know the students, but with pathfinders I get to know them even better and that’s great!

HC: When you’re looking at a college application what is the most important part?

Colin: Interest. The most important part of an application is seeing if the students has interviewed, came to an open house, attended a college fair, and didn’t just apply here with nothing. I like to see that the students are actually interested in Siena.

HC: What is one tip for high school seniors applying to Siena College?

Colin: Do an overnight. When you do a college overnight no matter what college it is you get to see what life is really like there. When a student does an overnight they get to see that all of our Siena students are great, and we don’t have to worry about the placement of the prospective students because they’d be happy anywhere. 

HC: If you could describe Siena students in one word, what would it be and why?

Colin: I’m going to quote Ed LaRow here and say, “nice.” Many places college kids might be cocky or jokesters, or they might get national spotlight for something they did wrong, but Siena students are great. They’re always wondering, “What can I help you with?” and we don’t see this everywhere we go.

HC: What is your favorite part about Siena’s campus itself?

Colin: The academic quad. The quad definitely sold me. I actually was planning on going to Cortland since Siena was 10 minutes from my house I didn’t even want to visit it. But my best friend’s mother convinced me to come and visit and when I saw the quad I knew that this was it.

HC: I know you’re very involved in the radio station, what made you join that?

Colin: Well since I am a local I already knew about it before coming here. So I already knew  “when I go to Siena I’m getting involved.” And there is always a help wanted sign on the door, so I just went and spoke to them and slowly I started going on the air. It actually led me to my first job at Albany Broadcasting.

HC: Is this something you plan on continuing?

Colin: Yes, I am still involved. Actually when I graduated I asked Albany broadcasting if I could still do the Siena radio, but I couldn’t because they were competition and I didn’t know that. So when I came back I got involved again and nobody had taken my spot so I got it back and now I’m on Monday-Friday midday.

HC: I know you’re very involved with stand up comedy. What motivates you to do that?

Colin: Making people laugh – its really the drive of any comedian. When I was a senior there was actually a comedy contest with a prize so I entered that. Anybody doing comedy will know that it’s like a language; anybody can try and speak it but when you have to write it or write a paper in it, its difficult. It was trouble at first but I actually won the competition because we weren’t allowed to swear and everyone else swore. And I actually stayed consistent in that. I use clean humor, which works just as good as shocking the crowd with swearing.

HC: How long have you been involved with comedy?

Colin: Since I was a senior in 2012.

HC: How was the crowd at Casey’s on Friday (9/18) night?

Colin: *laughs, I didn’t really think I was that great! I volunteered to open for the others so I was just warming up the crowd, but it was a lot of fun with a great environment. I was actually surprised to see so many students there. And on Sunday at least 10 people came up to me saying how funny it was, so it was a good night!

HC: Is there anything that students don’t know about you that you’d like to share with us?

Colin: I love Western New York. I’ve spent a lot of time there because my dad’s side of the family is from Rochester. So I love everything about, like the Buffalo Bills (although I like the Giants too), and the Sabers! I encourage everyone to watch them because it’s their year!

HC: And lastly, did coming to Siena change you as a person?

Colin: Completely. In high school I was a troublemaker. Not too much trouble, but I goofed around and played more than I should have. I got into Cortland but not Siena, so I spent my first semester at HVCC, but I had friends that came to Siena. So I came here to do my homework and stay for the weekends. When I did come here in the spring I lived with all of my buddies and we became best friends. Without Siena I wouldn’t be involved now with comedy or broadcasting. I wouldn’t be working such a great job with great people and if I weren’t here I would actually feel like I was going to a job everyday. It changed me completely.

Christina Iannotti is a Siena College Class of 2018 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Marketing.