Campus Couple: Paolo and Paulina

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

As if their names weren’t perfect enough together, this duo is just beyond perfection. Paolo Fiore and Paulina Harron are one of Siena’s most well-known couples. You may often see them walking around campus hand in hand just enjoying being with each other. That is only part of what makes their bond so special. They both have a passion for living life to the fullest and taking on adventures all while doing it together. 

Favorite romance movie: About Time 

Favorite love song: “No Matter Where You” Are by Us The Duo

What is your idea of a perfect date? (with one another, of course)

Paolo: I’m gonna speak for the both of us and say that we just really enjoy being with each other. Whatever it is we are doing, a perfect date for me is just being with Paulina. There was one time in the summer when we were in New York City and we were literally just walking through the city coming back from Central Park and we hadn’t spoken in like an hour. Usually silence is awkward and you feel like you have to say something but it just felt perfect and easy in that way, you know. Just being together. Last semester we were both free on Mondays so we would always do something together. 

Paulina: Yeah, like, one morning we went on a bike ride in the morning to see the sunrise and that was a lot of fun. Even before we started going out we would always just do things together. 

Paolo: I know how lucky I am with her. So, I try and make sure I live up to that so I am always thinking of things to do.

How did you guys meet?

Paolo: She was on my case the whole time! She was like a stalker!! (laughs)

Paulina: No, I wasn’t!! (laughs) We met in Chemisty class. Seriously this is the truth. 

Paolo: I actually had a girlfriend when I came in last year. (makes fart noise) Yeah that wasn’t good. 

Paulina: When I first saw him I was like “Oh no this cute boy is gonna sit next to me” and he wouldn’t stop talking the whole class. So then I’m thinking, “Oh my god I am gonna fail this class” All he did was talk! I didn’t know what to say. So then that day it was raining and he didn’t have a rain jacket so he took his shirt off! (laughs) So I put my hood on so that you can only see my eyes and he looks to me and says, “lets walk together.” (laughs) 

Paolo: It was raining and it was a nice shirt! She handled it very well. I’m the same way around everyone I meet. Some people love it, some people hate it. I dont give a (include expletive) you know? She was just smiling and saying “oh my god!” I like to think she took it very well. So that was the first time we hung out I guess and then things started to get serious. So yeah, I do remember that walk.  

Paulina: He used to always be near the milk fountain thing in Saga to get chocolate milk so I decided that I was gonna start drinking chocolate milk just so I would have an excuse to talk to him.

Paolo: I had no idea that she was that into me!

Who made the first move then!? 

Paolo: She would talk to me all the time so literally the only thing I thought was “this girl is fun to be around”. I literally did not think anything of it. And then it all just fell into place from there I guess. So in a way it was just mututal. 

How long were you friends before you made the next move? 

Paulina: I would say we were good friends for like four months before we started dating.

Paolo: I don’t remember like exact months or anything everything just fell into place perfectly. She is my best friend, there is no doubt about that. I can act like a fool, I can be myself and I know she will always be there for me. 

So Valentine’s Day is coming up! Any special plans?

Paolo: My birthday is actually on Feb. 15 so I said I would buy her dinner on Saturday and she will buy me dinner on Sunday. I have a couple other plans I have in mind that are all up here (points to head). Her birthday is at the end on the month so I got her a big birthday present so I think thats gonna cover the birthday and Valentines Day. Truth is, I dont really believe in Valentines Day. I think its dumb and it puts pressure on couples. There is a large break between holidays so they needed to add one (laughs). I think you should show people how much they love someone everyday. It shouln’t be a one day a year that you give large gifts and have candle light dinners. That should be candid and spontaneous cause you want to do it and Valentine’s makes you have to do all that. 

What is your best advice on having/keeping a strong relationship?

Paolo: Here is one thing I will tell you. We don’t share a lot of things. People reading this, if there is anything you should take away is this: keep it special. Everything we have together is between us. I tell her anything and everything. Whatever we do we keep it between us because when other things get involved drama starts and stories get twisted. I’m on the cross country team and they ask me all the time about Paulina and I are, you know like all guys in a locker room would, and I just dont respond to it. Paulina taught me that, you know, to be like that and keep things special with us. I love her. I love her and she loves me thats all people have to know. 

Paulina: A big part about it too is we talk to each other all the time so if there is something that is bothering me I will tell him whats up. Its really simple just to talk to each other.

Paolo: People always ask if we fight and I just think that fights don’t need to happen. My dad always told me to be proactive in everything you do. In arguments or fights its all about being open minded and not letting your temper get the best of you and understand where the other person is coming from. 

You guys are always known for being together all the time (laughs). Do you ever just need your space? 

Paolo: I observe a lot of things and for me it is so much easier to hang out with Paulina than to be included in the big party scene. There is a lot of fluff. There is a lot of stuff that isn’t real and so much stuff that isn’t necessary. I don’t need to a part it. Coming in as a freshman thats what it was all about, fitting in and all that stuff. But now I can say that our faith is very important to the both of us and that helps in a lot of ways. There is us and then there is something that is bigger than us and its good to humble about that. 

Paulina: We go to church every Sunday together. We go at 10:00 p.m in the Plassmann lounge. We have gone to the Grotto just to go and sit. We are not that “lovey dovey” couple. We are so goofy together and its fun! Sometimes its weird when I say “this is my boyfriend.” Its weird to say sometimes, like we know it but he is my best friend and that is just so great. 

Paolo: True love is like everything you see in the movies. You will know it when you feel it. There is a lot of fake stuff and I have been a part of that before and this I can tell you is incredible. I can go on and on. I can sit here for two hours and just keep telling you how much I love her! 

What is your favorite memory together so far? 

Paulina: We went to the city and he was just about to go to Peru for a service trip and I wasn’t going to see him for a long time. We went to Schnippers and got food and we were sitting on the balcony ledge thing and in a napkin he wrote, “I love you”. That was the first time he has ever said it. 

Paolo: It was actually a direct quote from a Frank Sinatra song that goes something like, “now I’m gonna mess it up by saying something stupid like, “I love you.”  

Everyday there is something that can happen. I am never looking for more. I want to spoil here. I bought her a sweater the other day just cause I wanted to. We keep each other in check and bring out the best in each other. 

Paulina: He makes me the best me 

Paolo: She makes me want to be the best me. 

Annie Zeina studied at Siena College from 2013-2015. She studied Journalism during her time at Siena.