Career

Broke College Girl- Waitressing Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

If you’re in college, you can relate to going to Walmart with every intention of just purchasing a couple of items, but before you know it, your check out total is $75. Then after Walmart, you have to stop for ice cream with your friends, right? College tuition is like a highway robbery to begin with, but these outside costs can get expensive quickly, leaving you strapped for cash. If you are looking to revitalize your bank account, waitressing might be your answer.

Since I turned 18, I have waitressed at Chili’s, a small-town diner, and at Miller’s Ale House. I have experience with other jobs, but waitressing will always be my first choice if I’m looking to take home some fast cash. How many other jobs allow you to take home cash every day instead of waiting for that two-week pay check? Nothing is more rewarding than taking home a couple hundred bucks after a long night of working.

Gif Source

Besides the money, waitressing is good exercise! It can be tough to motivate yourself to go to the gym in college, but waitressing allows you to burn calories while making money. I have walked over five miles in a shift and there is constant lifting involved, between carrying trays and clearing dishes.

Gif Source

If you are not persuaded enough already, joining a restaurant staff is beneficial to your social life. At every restaurant I have worked, there has been other college kids who totally understand the struggle. I have met some of my best friends while waitressing. Once you develop those relationships, work no longer feels like work! It feels like you are going to hang out, while raking in some dough.

Waitressing has additionally taught me ample life lessons. It truly teaches you how to work efficiently when you are busy and trying to handle eight tables. More importantly, it taught me how crucial it is to be kind to others, especially customer-service employees. A downfall of waitressing is that you do have to deal with a lot of rude people complaining about things that aren’t your fault like the taste of the food or the time it takes to cook. Having experience on the other end of it has shown me the importance of always being polite and spreading kindness. Additionally, it has also made me aware of how essential tipping at least 20 percent is!

Restaurants typically love to employ college kids because we know how to work hard. They’re also usually very flexible with scheduling, so go fill out your applications now!

Holly Bednarek is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Political Science and received a Pre-Law Certificate. She also minored in Spanish.