This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

The summer before my sophomore year of high school, I stumbled upon a book called All the Bright Places, written by Jennifer Niven. As soon as I opened the book, I was unable to put it down. As soon as I opened the book, I could not put it down—I finished it in two quick days. After each turn of the page, I became more and more attached to the characters and I wanted their story to result in the happy ending they continuously longed for. When the opportunity presented itself, I recommended the book to nearly everyone I came into contact with. Merely saying All the Bright Places transformed my life would be a great disservice to the author. I truly admire the way the book explores the difficulty of lifeduring the teenage years, such as the curiosity and heartbreak that accompanies a person’s first, great love. Specifically, how we cope with the weight of grief and the importance of recognizing that life is always worth living.

Someone holding a book on a yellow bed.
Photo by fotografierende from Pexels
On the first day of school, my Global 10 teacher asked each of us to share an exciting part of our summer vacation. When it was my turn to answer, I informed the class that I had spent most of my summer reading several superb books. I knew this answer had impressed my teacher because she asked me to explain what my favorite book had been and the reason. I expected to hear this question because everyone knew she was a widely read individual. Without hesitation, I began telling the class about my experience reading All the Bright Places. I remember this moment like it was yesterday: after I gave a synopsis of the book, my teacher made a terrible joke, implying that I was dark and depressed. Such an insinuation embarrassed me because I neveronce considered the idea that loving a book would place such a label on me. Her response shocked me and, looking back, I do not believe it was fair of her to make such an assumption. When I tried to refute her claim, I could tell right away that the entire class was ridiculing my attempt to defend myself because nothing I said was taken seriously. 

Now, those of you who have not heard of All the Bright Places may be wondering just what I said that day to earn such a response. First and foremost, this book is very much about mental illness, a topic that our society is quick to sweep under the rug. In the book, the main characters, Finch and Violet, suffer from depression and personal grievances that complicate each of their lives. Moreso, Finch’s undiagnosed mental illness periodically disconnects him from his loved ones and leaves him in a state of isolation. Yet, when Violet and Finch meet for the first time, it is under the most peculiar of circumstances. They are two seemingly “normal” high school students, and although they are navigating troublesome times, their relationship blossoms into something beautiful. When Violet finally learns how to live again, Finch loses sight of his purpose in life.

*SPOILER ALERT* I had no prior inclination that led me to believe Finch would commit suicide because his relationship with Violet was an extraordinary romance. In all truthfulness, I thought their love for one another was the one thing that would be enough to “save” him. Although Finch and Violet did not get the happy ending they both deserved, their hardships and triumphs continue to serve as valuable lessons to the readers. For those struggling with mental illness, this book has the potential to change one’s entire outlook in a drastic way. For instance, the reader must watch Finch’s loved ones pick up the shattered pieces after he is gone, revealing just how much of an impact his death had on everyone in his life.

block letters spelling out \"mental health matters\" on a red background
Photo by Anna Tarazevich from Pexels
Yet, critics of this book claim that Jennifer Niven wrote about mental illness in a way that makes it appear as though Finch and Violet’s relationship can completely heal them. Moreso, the adults in the book, from therapists to parents, seem entirely clueless to their ongoing struggles.The fact of the matter is that depression is different for everyone who is struggling with it. I found this book to be very realistic in the sense that I felt compelled to empathize with the characters as they dealt with their personal afflictions. Some critics also believe that All the Bright Places is not a book for people dealing with depression but is for those who have friends struggling with a related illness. They argue that the plot glosses over the seriousness of depression and the lack of detailed discussion about mental health may not inspire people to get the proper help they need. Rather, it is possible that Niven’s book spreads the wrong messages to its intended audience, when it is in fact trying to do the very opposite.

In my opinion, the critics’ judgments could not be further from the truth. I found that this book beautifully explores various forms of the grieving process. At the beginning of the novel, Violet has just lost her sister. While every person’s experience with grief is unique, Violet deals with hers in a way that feels authentic and shows that it is possible to recover from a loss that feels insurmountable. All The Bright Places uncovers what it feels like to navigate something “uncontrollable” in you, particularly when you feel you have no one left to turn to for help. Many people fight a silent battle and this book reminds me of the tremendous value in possessing a loving heart that inspires oneself to treat others with kindness.

be kind
Photo by Vie Studio from Pexels
Most importantly, Niven offers an honest portrayal of the complexities of mental illness rather than a “convenient” one, which is crucial in today’s society. One of the principal themes that this book successfully tackles is the struggle to believe in the value and meaning of one’s life. Niven inspires her readers to discover the strength needed to move forward, despite all the darkness in this world. In my life, the lessons I learned from All The Bright Places served to reignite my appreciation for life and all of its beautiful complexities, even when I feel hopeless. To me, this book proves that life is worth living because everyone will eventually find happiness, especially in the places we least expect to find it.

Nora is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. During her time at Siena, she was an English major with minors in Writing and Communication and Educational Studies.