Beyond Apple Picking: Fun Fall Activities in the Capital Region

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

After several weeks back on campus for the semester, and with the stresses of the midterms on us now, I can’t help but get the itch to get off campus and explore. This desire comes in an ideal location, as there’s nothing like autumn in the Capital Region. The beauty of the ever-changing leaves, once infused with the need to get off campus, has led me on this quest to find some new and exciting events in the area to embark upon.

If you’re looking in the right places, the Capital Region is filled with many more activities than may originally reach the eye. Many of these places are easily accessible by car or by the bus, via the bus pass contained in our handy-dandy Saint Cards, which means that attendance at one, at least, is basically mandatory!

1. Enjoy a nice political scare at Capitol Hauntings

Do you love scary stories AND history? Every weekday in October our beautiful NYS Capitol Building is hosting a free “Capitol Hauntings” tour of its historic space. Registration is required and tours run twice a day at 12:30 pm and 5:30 pm. 

(Source.)

2. Become spellbound at Hemlock’s Bicentennial BeWITCHing Ball

Sponsored by Troy’s steampunk haven, The Enchanted City, Hemlock’s Bicentennial BeWITCHing Ball is a public block party on River Street, held in association with Troy Night Out. It’ll be on October 28 from 6 pm to 10 pm, and is sure to be a blast. They’re having a costume contest, tarot card readings, and live music at this fun and free event.

(Source.)

3. Watch classic spooky films at Albany’s Madison Theater

All throughout October, Albany’s Madison Theater – located in the Pine Hills neighborhood by UAlbany and the College of Saint Rose – is showing classic fall films, like the original Ghostbusters and The Exorcist. Student tickets are usually only $5, and the Sunday matinee of classic films are usually only 35 cents.

(Source.)

4. Don’t be afraid of exploring the Capital Region on your own. 

Whether you’re a first year student who is new to the area or a senior who has spent most of their time at Siena hanging out on campus, there’s always more to see and explore in the area. Even if you don’t have anything specifically planned, fall is the perfect time to explore more of what the area has to offer. A Saturday spent wandering through Albany will leave you more aware of what the area has to offer – while also providing some much sought after steps.

(Source.) 

5. A taste of Hamilton in the 518? Awesome, wow. 

I don’t know about you, but I’m not throwing away my shot to learn more about Alexander Hamilton on a special tour at Schuyler Mansion this fall. Registration is required for these tours, which are taking place every Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday at 2:00 pm until October 30.

(Source.)

Thumbnail source.

Jenna Kersten is a Siena College Class of 2018 alumna. During her time at Siena, she was an English major with minors in German and International Studies.