Style

Best Vintage/Thrift Shops Near Siena

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Are you interested in sustainable fashion, trying to save some money on clothes, or just want to try out some cool vintage styles? You need to go thrift/vintage shopping!  Thrifting is getting more and more popular with the sustainable movement and is a great way for college students to get affordable clothing while avoiding fashion fashion. You may not realize it, but there’s all kinds of great spots to go thrifting as well as vintage boutiques right near Siena. Here’s my top picks for the best spots to check out and get your thrift on!

• Salvation Army

Probably the #1 thrifting spot for Siena students is the Family Salvation Army less than 10 minutes away on Troy Schenectady Road. This is just a giant thrift store absolutely full of all kinds of clothes, and the inventory changes literally every day. Pro tip: go on Wednesday’s to get everything 50% off!

Image Source

This is one of my personal favorite local boutiques that’s on River Street in Troy. They have all kinds of cute bohemian clothing, new items and accessories included, but they also always have multiple racks of amazing vintage stuff. If you’re not a big thrifter but want some cool vintage pieces, this is a good place to go because the good stuff is already picked out for you. Last week I saw a sheepskin vest there that was to die for!

Image Source

This thrift store in Troy is run by a local organization called Unity House. They are a non-profit that works to help people in the local community and achieve social justice for people in need in the area. All of the proceeds from ReStyle go to Unity House, so if you want to thrift and support a great cause at the same time, be sure to check them out. If you went to the pop-up thrift store at Siena a couple weeks ago, they were the ones who ran it, and they had some really great pieces there!

Image Source

This is a newer local vintage boutique in Troy that I actually haven’t been to yet, but it looks so cute! If you want some more curated, trendier pieces, this is definitely the place to go. The pictures of the store itself just looks like an Instagram blogger’s dream, TBH. Something alse cool about this place is they also have a hair studio on-site that is dedicated to sustainable hair and beauty.

Image Source

• Goodwill

Last but not least, is this classic thrifting spot– there’s one on Fuller Rd. in Colonie and another on Hoosick Rd. in Troy that you can check out! Like Salvation Army, these stores will have all kinds of clothes for you to dig through and discover gems. Going to a good old thrift shop is sometimes more fun and rewarding than shopping vintage, so be sure so try it out for yourself!

Image Source

Emma Burkard is a Siena College Class of 2019 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied English and also minored in Writing and Communications.