This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Throughout the 20 years of my life, I have come across different songs that perfectly relate to how I am feeling. No matter what mood I am in, there is always a song that I can relate to. Here are just a few examples of the relationships I have made between moods and songs.  

1.  If you are in the mood to take a sad shower, the perfect song for you is “Stone Cold” by Demi Lovato. If you’ve ever had a former significant other move on, or even if you haven’t, Demi’s pain can be felt through listening to this song. Not only is it a good sad song, but a good shower song. Since nobody can hit the notes that Demi can, it’s probably best if you sing it in the shower.

Image Source

2. If you are feeling empowered, the best song to listen to is “Run the World” by Beyonce. With the upbeat tempo and assertive lyrics, it’s clear that Queen B wants to send the ‘females empower females’ message.

Image Source

3. For those of you who are single, “Feeling Myself (feat. Beyonce)” by Nicki Minaj is your song. These women are clearly at the top of their game and not afraid to let everyone know. So, why not sing along, and share the single-lady-confidence?

Image Source

4. The best song to listen to you when you miss someone is “Sign of the Times” by Harry Styles. Although it is a sad song, misery loves company. You will almost certainly gain a sense of comfort in knowing someone else is listening to the same song for whatever reason.

Image Source

5. If you are of the select few who would voluntarily go on a run, the perfect song for you is “‘Till I Collapse” by Eminem. In this song, Eminem passionately raps about never quitting and giving it his all. In this case, we can twist the meaning to never stop running.

Image Source

6. If you are in the mood for a Disney throwback, the perfect song for you is “Amigas Cheetahs” by The Cheetah Girls. If you are like me, you grew up watching Disney Channel Original Movies – and yes, the biggest Disney song in 2007 was, in fact, “Amigas Cheetahs.”

Image Source

7. The best song for a group sing-a-long, is “Before He Cheats” by Carrie Underwood. Whether you’re in the car with your friends or doing karaoke, this catchy song will definitely make you want to sing along.

Image Source

Emily Weinert is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Economics and Actuarial Sciences.