Best Places to Find a Costume Besides the Costume Store

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Halloween comes once a year, and most people spend a majority of the time building up to it trying to find a costume. If you’re like the average person, you go straight to the costume store and grab whatever you can. The costume shops overprice just about everything, making it extremely difficult for anyone on a college budget to want to buy something. But have no fear, there are plenty of other places to shop for much cheaper.  Not only can you get cheaper deals, but you can get far more creative.

1. Thrift Store

If you are someone who likes to get creative with a costume, this is the place for you. No one piece in the thrift store will be the same, so don’t worry about someone having something like you. The thrift store is especially good for someone on a college budget to save some money, since you will only be wearing this once. 

Gif Source

2. Amazon

Amazon is the perfect place to look if you know what you want. If you plan far enough ahead, you can easily order from a seller that doesn’t offer Prime as well. Amazon has just about anything, along with a range of different prices, so this is the place for you if you want to get it all done online.

Gif Source

3. Forever 21

Forever 21 is an easy place to go if you need an idea because they have some pretty out there things for sale. The only downfall of looking here is that you can’t go in with something in mind because they generally won’t have exactly what you want. The plus side of Forever 21 is that most items are relatively cheap, and besides clothes, there are lots of shoes and accessories here!

Gif Source

4. Joann Fabric

If you are the more creative type, you could take on the project of making your own costume. Joann Fabric has any fabric you can think of, ranging from thin, sheer materials to heavy-duty materials. Along with the large selection, making your own clothes adds a touch to the costume because you really made it. If you are someone who likes the idea of making your own costume, definitely plan ahead because this is a bit time-consuming.

Gif Source

Madeline is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. She studied business during her time at Siena.