This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Every girl needs a good lipstick. Lipsticks are statements, outfit finishers and fun additives to complete a cute or sexy look. Whether you’re into bright pops of color or statement shades like Nicki Minaj, nudes like Kim Kardashian, or classically chic reds like Taylor Swift, there’s a lipstick for you!

And here’s the best shades to dress up or dress down any fall outfit. Beware, I’m a lipstick fanatic who has a passion for matte colors.

E.L.F. COSMETICS

e.l.f. is the greatest gift to a girl with a tight budget! The whole product lineup from the company is super cheap, but they don’t cheat on quality! I definitely recommend trying e.l.f. first with a color you’re unsure of or really just need for one occasion. It won’t break your bank and you’ll still look fantastic!

Places you can buy: Walmart, Target, Old Navy, e.l.f. Comestics, Walgreens, Ulta Beauty

Image Source

Wine, 82468, E.L.F Matte Lip Color, $3

Ladies, this is my go to dark red! e.l.f. describes this wine color as a deep berry and I couldn’t agree more! Personally, I look best in dark reds, so if you’re looking/searching for a good berry color this is great place to start! It’s only $3, y’all! It looks great with the scarf in the picture; I would know, I own that exact same scarf! This is the ultimate fall color, it literally looks great with all fall colors. So, if you are looking for a staple color to add to your fall collections, you can’t go wrong with e.l.f.’s Wine color! Trust me, you won’t be disappointed!

Image Source 

Cranberry, 82469, E.L.F. Matte Lip Color, $3  

If Wine is too dark for you, tone it down a bit with Cranberry! This is another great fall color for those who don’t want a super dark red, but still a deeper color. It also matches all things fall. Hell, they’re only $3, why not try them both?!

Image Source

MAYBELLINE

Next, let’s go to my favorite brand of lipstick! With Maybelline colors, you don’t have to break the bank for a good shade of lipstick THAT LASTS. Maybelline is affordable, starting at only $5.50 a tube!

These lipsticks have great pigment, are long lasting (and by long-lasting, I mean you can eat with this stuff on and it won’t come off!), moisturizing and super cheap! What more can you ask for?!

Places to buy: Walmart, Target, Ulta Beauty, Walgreen, Rite Aid, Maybelline’s Website

Image Source 

Brown Blush, 575, Maybelline New York Color Sensational Inti-Matte Nudes Lipstick, $5.50

This is my favorite color of all time by Maybelline! It’s from their selections of nudes, but for paler skinned girls this is an excellent brown shade! And let me tell you, I’m very fair skinned and it doesn’t wash me out. It’s the perfect color to pair with browns, military/dark greens, dark reds and burgundies…really any fall color you can think of will pair nicely with this brown/nude shade! 

Image Source

Smoking Red, 795, Color Sensational Lip Color® Loaded Bolds, $6.60

“And I got that red lip classic thing that you like!” Taylor Swift couldn’t have said anything better! No woman can go wrong with this perfect shade of red. It’s classy, it’s sexy, it’s a statement and it’s definitely a confidence booster. And it’s only $6.60 a tube! A steal (your guy) and a deal! This is a great color to wear out for a night on the town (homecomings, proms, dates, dances, clubs, parties, just to wear, etc.,) It’s a deep red with a bright undertone and it’s perfect for any skin tone!

Image Source

And if you want to mix it up and make custom shades, no fear! Pull a Gigi Hadid and match Smoking Red and Orange Danger for a brilliant shade of orangey-red! Fall is all about deep, bright colors, so why not make your lips an accessory? One of my favorite things to do is match my lips to an article of clothing. Like Hadid, you can match it to your jacket or shirt color or (my favorite,) shoes! Lipstick is a great accessory to really tie together a statement color and really tone down your look, all the while looking F L A W L E S S!

Image Source

Berry Bossy, 820, Maybelline Color Sensational The Loaded Bolds Lipstick, $6.60

Fall is the time of year to experiment with fun colors! Berry Bossy is a purple-pink shade that makes a statement. You’re the boss after all! So hit the town with confidence in a great fall outfit with a bold lip choice! Although I have not personally tried the color myself, I’m already itching to go buy it. I might have to make a pit stop before school tomorrow!

Image Source

Midnight Plum, 1005 (Limited Edition), Maybelline Colorsensational Lipstick, $7.99

Feel vampy or just need a good lipstick for a Halloween costume? Try getting your hands on Maybelline’s Midnight Plum color. It’s a great way to make your dark costume complete or give you a bold, confident edge.

NYX COSMETICS

Image Source

Another great brand I actually just started using is NYX. It’s fairly cheap (just a little bit more expensive than Maybelline) and it’s so smooth! Confession time: I literally just got my first two shades from this company a few weeks ago because I was looking for a Kylie dupe. Sorry, not sorry, girl…I’m cheap. But good news for you guys: I’ve tried like five dupes of Kylie’s Mary Jo K and I know all the secrets to a good red now!

Anyhow, NYX’s soft matte cream lipsticks (I told you I was a big fan of matte) are super pigmented and (like their collection suggests) super soft and creamy. It’s a little drying, but nothing that will bother you too much.

Places you can buy: Ulta Beauty, Target, Macy’s, Bed Bath & Beyond

Image Source

Monte Carlo, SMLC10, NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream, $6.49

This is one of my favorite reds of all time, and like I said before, I know a good red! It’s not too dark, not too light. If you want a nice red color that’s great for fall, but not too wine colored, this is the color for you! It has a great pigment and dries fast for a medium-lasting look! Reds are my favorite lip color to choose from because it’s a confident, sexy, empowering color that is the black of lipsticks! A girl can never go wrong with a dash of red. I love to pair this color with a cute dark red/purple sweater and a black skirt. Keep it simple and really let your lips do the talking!

Image Source

Abu Dhabi, SMLC09, NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream, $6.49

I can’t speak for everyone, as every nude is different, but Abu Dhabi is a deep rose beige color and it works perfectly for me! It’s a natural color and it looks like I’m not wearing any lipstick at all. Here’s a tip from a girl who made the wrong choice with nude lipstick: go a few shades darker than you think you’ll need in NYX nudes because it’s a lot lighter in the bottle than the color of the container! The lightest shade, Cairo, made me look like I have no lips, but the outside color looked perfect! Also, don’t be afraid to ask a consultant about what shade is perfect for you!

Image Source

Vancouver, SMLC29, NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream, $6.49

A great fall color is purple! It’s a bold risk, but with the right outfit and skin tone/makeup you can pull it off! Dress it up, dress it down, it’s all up to you! Make it the showcase of your look by wearing an all-black ensemble or pair it with a dark purple or red color to match! The sky’s the limits, ladies, rock that purple lipstick!

Image Source

M.A.C COSMETICS

Alright, ladies, M.A.C is a little on the expensive side of lipsticks (or makeup in general), but it’s worth the price! I own the Viva Glam Miley Cyrus lipstick by them and I fell in love with the brand because of it! The pinky hue of Cyrus’ color was extremely pigmented, although I found it quite drying. But the brand has a smooth, heavily pigmented formula that is worth dehydrated lips and the cost!

Places to buy: M.A.C Comestics, Macy’s, Ulta Beauty

Image Source

Ruby Woo, M.A.C Comestics, $17.50

Taylor Swift once said, “It’s a staple. I was the last one to discover it.” Ruby Woo is definitely a staple color that I have yet to get my hands on! I’ve been told many times before that this lipstick is the red of all reds, meaning this red looks good with any skin tone! Looking at the picture above, this color is no stranger to celebrities with multiple skin tones. And it’s not just good for red carpet events, Swift can be seen wearing this color all over the place, from walking around NYC to music awards. Meaning: this color is going to be your new staple and your new favorite.

Image Source 

Image Source

Sin, M.A.C Comestics, $17.50

Sin by M.A.C Cosmetics is great vampy purple and a great addition to your fall collection. This deep purple is favored by Rihanna and the deep burgundy/purple look will match great with a dark green or purple. Have fun with the bold color, and spice up your outfit with an audacious splash of vibrant color. Fall is the definition of risk-taking in the lipstick world. If you’re unsure of the bold color, here’s a few cheaper dupes: Wet n Wild’s Cherry Bomb ($1.99) and NYX High Voltage Feline ($7.98).

Image Source 1 Image Source 2

Morange, M.A.C Comestics, $17.50

Orange you glad you got it? For my bold ladies out there, try an orange lipstick this fall. It’s just the right amount of pop to brighten up any look and really make your lips the center of display! This fun color from M.A.C is just what you needed during pumpkin season!

KYLIE COSMETICS

Good news ladies, Kylie Jenner has your back when it comes to fall. She has an entire makeup line dedicated to it! Kylie is known for her highly-pigmented lip kits and smooth textures of her products, and you can’t forget the too cute packaging! Although Jenner’s lip kits are expensive, people keep coming back for more! That means there has to be something good about the product, not to mention her wide variety of colors.

Places you can buy: Kylie Cosmetics

Image Source

Autumn, Fall Collection, Kylie Cosmetics, $29

I’m dying for this color! It’s a terracotta rose color. It’s so cute and it just screams fall! Doesn’t it look like the ultimate fall color? And Jenner does well with the perfect title for it. It’s matte, like most of her lip products, and honestly will match any outfit perfectly! It’s not an over demanding color and it’s perfect to finish off any fall outfit of your choosing.

If you’re a girl on a budget or a cheap person like me, I know you’re looking for dupes of all her colors. So, I’ll help you out. I haven’t tried any myself for Autumn, but I’ll try my best to recommend the best ones.

Dupes: Aromi’s Terra Cotta ($17), Kat Von D’s Lolita II ($20)

Image Source

Butternut, Fall Collection, Kylie Comestics, $29

Kylie describes this is as a warm butterscotch color. In my opinion, it’s a mix between a brown and orange shade, so if you can’t decide which color you want to try, try this one! For some, this might even work as a nice nude color with a brown undertone!

Dupes: JD Glow’s Leather ($13), Black Moon’s Cider ($18)

Image Source

Hazel, Fall Collection, Kylie Cosmetics, $29

With Christmas coming soon, Hazel works double time. It’s a great fall and winter shade. Buying Hazel means you’re getting two seasons worth of lipstick for the price of one! It’s described as a warm nude color, but it doubles as a nice brown shade for light-skinned girls. It’s a tone down color, which is great for accenting your outfit by completing it with a complimenting color that won’t overpower your autumn look.

Dupes: Smashbox’s Gotta Light ($24), Doses of Color’s Knock on Wood ($18) (both seem to be a little lighter than Kylie’s)

Image Source

Pumpkin, Kylie Cosmetics, $29

What’s more appropriate for fall than a lipstick called Pumpkin? Try to come up with a better one (besides Autumn, of course). Kylie describes this color as a dirty, mid-tone orange. It’s a great color to match fall and it’s not as bright as M.A.C’s Morange. If you still want to rock that orange color without looking like a neon sign, Pumpkin is the way to go! It’s chic and toned down, definitely a great color to finish off your autumn look.

Dupes: Colorpop’s Taurus ($5), Smashbox’s Out Loud (a little more vibrant than pumpkin) ($24)

Image Source

Mary Jo K, Kylie Cosmetics, $17 (Lipstick), $29 (Lip Kit)

And my favorite color of Kylie’s: Mary Jo K! Although I don’t have my hands on it yet, I’ve practically tried every dupe under the sun! It’s one of the most popular shades Kylie sells and celebrities and us like it the same. This color has been seen equally on the street and on the red carpets. It’s the perfect red for any occasion and is said to be for any skin tone! And luckily, this color has a cheaper version on Kylie Cosmetics, where you can buy just the lipsticks itself. Get ready to get glam or just use it to complete any look you like. You can’t go wrong with this color (trust me, I’ve spent so much money on dupes, I might as well buy the real thing!) This is a universal, year-round color, so have fun with it if you want to be classically chic or just to add a pop of color to your everyday look.

Dupes (I’ve tried and liked): NYX’s Amsterdam ($6.49) (might be a little lighter than Kylie’s), NYX’s Monte Carlo ($6.49) (might be a little darker, considering mixing Amsterdam and Monte Carlo)

Don’t bother: Revlon’s Love (it never dries and is way to bright) ($6.89)

Haven’t tried, but I would recommend: Jeffree Star’s Redrum ($18), Coloured Raine’s Vanity Raine ($17), City Color’s Sweet Sangria ($5) (looks slightly brighter in pictures)

Gif Source

ROCK YOUR BEST SHADES OF LIPSTICK THIS FALL. YOU’RE ALREADY LOOKING FANTASTIC! HAPPY SHOPPING! 

Thumbnail Image

Alyssa Guzman is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she Double Majored in English and Communications Journalism with a minor in Writing and Communications.