This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

One cup a day, is that enough? Should you drink more? Experts say that drinking green tea will improve your overall health which, in turn, may make you live longer – woohoo! There are seven major ways that just drinking one cup a day – really, that’s it! – will help you out tremendously. So here’s the tea…

Fights Off Allergies

We all know how dreadful allergies can be. Green tea has a high concentration of a compound called EGCG (Epigallocatechin gallate) which has been known to help in fighting off allergies as well as anti-inflammatories.

Reduces Body Fat and Gets Rid of Toxins

Green tea has a tendency to increase people’s metabolism and aid in weight loss. Due to this people who drink green tea also tend to see themselves feeling more energized and ready to take on the day- and as a college student, I can say that’s what I need. Although this may be the case, you should still follow healthy weight loss tips if you’re trying to lose weight. This website lists some ways to help you get started.

Improves Skin Health

You don’t just have to drink it either, green tea can be used to treat mild acne and help those who are prone to sensitive skin.  Now let’s get that skin glowing! All you have to do to treat these two skin issues is use the tea bag (already dipped in hot water) and dab it on your face over the affected areas. Another bonus is that because green tea helps with your overall health and helps get rid of the toxins in your body, skin care will usually improve along with that as well.

Keeps Blood Sugar Levels in Check and Lower the Risk of Type Two Diabetes

By drinking green tea and keeping your blood sugar levels to a healthy standing, you automatically lower your risk of getting Type Two Diabetes. Type Two Diabetes is when your pancreas just isn’t able to produce enough insulin – this is called insulin resistance. However, green tea helps naturally improve insulin sensitivity and reduce your risk of getting Type Two Diabetes.

Lowers the Risk of Cancer

As you know, cancer is an uncontrollable growth of cells. Over the course of many years, researchers have come to find out that antioxidants may have a preventative effect on this. And what has lots of antioxidants you ask? GREEN TEA! Drinking green tea will give you these powerful antioxidants that reduce your risk of getting cancer.

Fights Off Depression

The calming factor of green tea combined with the overall health benefits it offers, allows for the aid in very mild cases of depression. Many people often drink coffee,which is known to cause depression, as a source of caffeine; however, green tea has caffeine in it. This allows for a healthier source of caffeine, which is also pretty tasty too.

Improves Brain Function and Memory

Green tea, having less caffeine than coffee, still allows your body to be awake and alert without being jittery and feeling like you could stay awake for the rest of your life. The less amount of caffeine along with an amino acid called L-theanine increases the activity in your brain and allows you to recall things easier and faster.

Green tea can benefit you in many ways, try it!

How could you not want to drink a cup of green tea a day after reading about all these benefits! One cup of green tea a day = you living… forever? Maybe? 

Happy Drinking!!

Nicole Caldara is Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Psychology and also had a Business minor and a Human Resource Development minor.