This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Wearing a nude lipstick is always a classic look. However, the struggle of finding which type of nude color to wear has proved to be the most challenging task ever. Sometimes we find a nude that makes it look like we have no lips or we have one who’s undertone disagrees with the flash in a picture. Today, that challenge will be taken away and your steps to finding your perfect shade will come that much easier.

The key to finding your perfect nude lipstick is all about finding the balance between your complexion and your lip color.

1. Starting with ivory and fair skin, as I am, I found it easier to find a nude with a pink undertone.

Image Source

This will help to create a warmer tone to your desired makeup look. It will also help your lips to stand out from your complexion and distinguish their own shape.

My go-to nude lipstick for any look is: “Pure Hollywood” by Anastasia Beverly Hills.

2. Moving onto someone with an olive complexion, according to Vogue, you should find a lipstick that is a little darker than you would normally wear.

Image Source

Lipsticks that are a shade darker than your complexion or lipsticks with a peach or caramel color will look better than a color that is lighter because it will pronounce your lips while creating a statement at the same time.

My pick: Sable Smoke by Tom Ford.

3. For those of you with a medium complexion, nude colors that are most flattering would be ones that are well-medium in shade.

Image Source

Meaning, pink and berry colors that are a shade darker than what you are comfortable with are normally the most flattering.

Check out “Velvet Teddy” by MAC Cosmetics.

4. According to BirchBox, customers with a mocha complexion benefit from warm nudes that are either pink or brown that are three shades darker than their complexion.

Image Source

However, they have found that individuals with naturally darker lips with this complexion also prefer nudes that are orange based.

Try out: Beige by Bobbi Brown.

5. For individuals with a deep complexion, you have to be careful when looking for a nude lipstick because you do not want your lips to lose their presence on your face.

Image Source

Nude colors that are golden and glossy are seen to be the most flattering and fresh.

My pick: Gloss Bomb by Fenty Beauty

Regardless of what I say or what anyone else tells you, you will most likely end up with a handful of slightly different but the same shade nude. The eye will always find what best compliments you. Don’t deny it!

Thumbnail Image Source

Alexandra Ryan is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Marketing.