All the World’s a Stage, so You Might as Well Give Theatre a Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Image Source

Shakespeare said something about all the world being a stage, and people really don’t take enough advantage of that metaphor. I mean, how many times have you heard someone complaining about wanting to find themselves, looking for a new hobby, or wanting to meet new people? Look no further than your own campus’ backyard!

There is no better way to figure out who you want to be than by pretending to be anything but that. You get to find out what works for you and what doesn’t. What roles you like to play, and what comes most naturally. Best part is, if you don’t like who you’re acting as, you are at liberty to change it and be whoever you chose. You don’t have to stick to one identity either. The beauty of characters is found in their depth and layers, and acting is the perfect outlet to digging them out.

Image Source

Theatre can seem really intimidating, especially to beginners, but often it is full of people who are super accepting of everyone: no matter their identity, background or even skill level. Going on auditions can be a great way to build confidence and overcome performance related anxieties. The more you do something, the less scary it becomes. Auditioning is also the perfect way to practice dealing with rejection. You won’t always get the part you audition for, no matter how badly you want it. Not only will it motivate you to work harder to get what you want, but it also provides the important lesson that no part is too small and all are equally important.

People have this preconceived notion that the ensemble or smaller roles are irrelevant or unimportant, but if I’ve learned anything from doing theatre is that they are often the most important part. Not only do they usually have more or equal amount of stage time to the leads, but they help move the plot along and keep the audience interested in what’s going on, which can make or break a show. Outside of the cast, the backstage roles are also never given enough credit. The actors would not be able to do their job without the light and sound operators, pit, crew, and designers involved in the show. These roles are also so versatile that they are perfect for anyone who might be interested in participating in theatre without actually wanting perform themselves.

Theatre has so many different moving parts that there’s something for everyone who wants to get involved. It truly is a beautiful thing to watch the all of these completely different roles come together to create one beautiful thing, and everyone should get to experience that. It’s something to be proud of, and at your own hands. Kinda makes the World’s stage feel a whole lot smaller, doesn’t it?

Samantha Fazio is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. She studied English during her time at Siena.