9 Things You Must See in the Adirondacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

The Adirondack Park is arguably the best place on the entire planet. You can pretty much find any recreational activity to do, while in the beauty of the mountains. Now, my opinion may be a little biased since this is my home. So for those of you who haven’t experienced the ADK life, here is a list of some of my favorite places to go. Like I said before, I’m from the Lake George area so many of the places on the list are from around there. The upper end of the park has many other beautiful sites to visit. Don’t let this list limit you! The Adirondacks have endless possibilities of places to go. However, it’s a little impossible to make a list of infinity things, so here are nine things you must see in the Adirondacks!

1. Adirondack Balloon Festival

Looking for the perfect Instagram photo background? This festival is the place for that! The Adirondack Balloon Festival takes place at a local airport in Queensbury around mid-to-late September. Not only will you see hundreds of balloons take off simultaneously, but there is also an abundance of food, craft vendors and clothing! This event brings in thousands of people from all over the country! You may even see some hot air balloons from as far away as Arizona! Helpful tip: bring lots of layers (even mittens) especially if you go to see the morning launch. It gets cold!

Image Source

2. Buck Mountain Summit

Arguably one of the best summit views around the Lake George area, Buck Mountain is the perfect trip for the average hiker! If you have never hiked before in your life, try a different mountain first (like Pilot Knob) before this one. The trail gets extremely popular during the summer tourist season in the area, so I recommend going during the fall. Not only will it be a peacefully quiet hike, but the fall foliage in the Adirondacks is incredible. Grab those hiking boots and bring lots of water!

Image by author

3. The Olympic Center, Lake Placid

If you’re ever wondering why people from up here are constantly referencing the year 1980, they have a good reason. The most popular sporting completion took place right in upstate New York twice (1932 and 1980). Take a tour around the charming Olympic Village! You can take a ride to the top of the ski jumps to get a great view of the mountains or spend some time skating on the Olympic rink. As for that year of 1908 that everyone brings up, that was the year of the Miracle on Ice!

Image Source

View from the ski jumps:

Image by author

4. Whiteface Mountain

Whiteface Mountain is one of the 46 high peaks in the Adirondacks. However, people of all hiking abilities can make it to the summit! There is a drivable road that goes up close to the top and a short, steep, rocky ridge to make it the summit! It is a fantastic view of the mountains from the top, and even has a little castle-looking gift shop where the road stops.

Image by author

5. The Wild Center, Tupper Lake

This fun, interactive wilderness center is perfect for a day trip! You can expect to walk over suspending bridges, see some native fish species, step into a giant eagle’s nest, and climb around in a rope-made spider-web. All this while learning more about the beautiful Adirondacks. Go visit The Wild Center!

Image Source

6. Honestly, just any of the thousands of lakes and ponds

There are thousands of lakes and ponds throughout the six million acres of land. Whatever one you choose, you are bound to see unique wildlife and get the Adirondack experience!

Lake Clear:

Image by author

7. Adirondack Extreme

For those adrenaline lovers, Adirondack Extreme is the place for you. This high ropes course is filled with zip lines and challenges to get from tree to tree. At some points you can even be 40 feet about the ground walking on wires. If you are not a fan of heights, try doing some of the lower levels courses! Not going to lie, I chickened out by the third course.

Image Source

8. LARAC Arts Festival

Everyone in the lower part of the Adirondacks loves LARAC. When I say they love LARAC, I mean they LOVE it! This is like the Target of festivals. It is impossible not to want to buy everything in sight. LARAC stands for the Lower Adirondack Regional Arts Council. During this festival, expect to see lots of local art, crafts, food and music!

Image Source

9. The LGA’s Floating Classroom

This is a unique program set up by the Lake George Association (LGA). Guests can expect to carry out extremely fun experiments, along with learning more about the beautiful lake. It is perfect for all ages! The purpose is to educate people on the importance of keeping Lake George water clean; since it is drinking water. If you’re ever in the area, make sure to check this out!

Image Source

Thumbnail Image Source

Emily Boucher is a Siena College Class of 2020 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Environmental Studies.