jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Loving yourself is one of the most important things you can do in life. This is crucial to do because it is the first step to inner happiness. If you don’t have the ability to love yourself, you will most likely find yourself struggling to be truly happy. A lot of people struggle with some form or another of depression, and can never figure out the cause. The common denominator to all these people’s problems begins with their lack of love for themselves and belief in their own abilities. For some people, self love seems as if it will never be achievable, but listed below are some steps to help get the ball rolling.

1. Open Your Mind

Begin with reading and listening, taking every little thing in. Make sure you are receptive to new concepts and ideas for living your life. Once you allow this to happen, you will notice that you have an easier time understanding different perspectives. Understanding multiple points of views will help lead to more peace within and less overreacting over the small things.

Gif Source

2. Forgive Yourself

Let the small stuff go, you are only human. It is completely understandable to make mistakes or forget to do something. The important thing to remember is that everyone makes mistakes, and everyone has bad days. The key is to pick yourself up and tell yourself tomorrow will be a better day. If you can forgive yourself for a small goof up, you will find it easier to let go of bigger issues over time.

3. Pamper Yourself

Make sure you set aside some time to take care of yourself. Whether it’s a couple minutes a day, or a couple hours, taking time for yourself is important. Some great pampering ideas are painting your nails, taking a bath, or going shopping for something new. Every day it is important to do something that feels good and boosts your well-being.

Gif Source

4. Do a Lifestyle Audit

Work on breaking unhealthy habits and conditions in your life. This can be done by simply sitting down and seeing what might be holding you back or weighing you down. If you get rid of what is not working for you, there will be room for new things that will work to come in!

5. Build Your Tribe

You become like the people you spend your time with, so choose wisely. If someone does something you aren’t fond of, get that negativity out of your life. It can be easier said than done. Once you make this change, a weight will be lifted off your shoulders. Bring people into your life that reflect you or who you would like to be.

Gif Source

6. Meditate

Meditating for even a few minutes a day will help reduce stress, and help to build up your self love. This is an important time to relax and reflect on who you are and decide what you want to change. Focus on your breathing and think of all the great things going on in your life by letting go of all the negatives.

7. Use Affirmations

Start and end your day with a positive quote that means something to you. If the quote is irrelevant to the day at hand, then find another one that you can focus on and live by. Download an app like Eternal Sunshine, which sends you positive messages throughout the day.  

8. Take Control

Make sure you are the one controlling your life. When you are leaving this to someone else, you are leaving your happiness in their hands. With this being said, you most likely will not be happy. You need to take control of your life by getting rid of any negativity that is holding you back and only move forward.

Madeline is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. She studied business during her time at Siena.